Ovulation test results - Advice needed!

Claire H

Reaction score
Hello everyone, Im new to all of this but i could do with some advice!

I have been using the Unitest LH Ovulations tests for the past 3 cycles and althought they get gradually darker until day 16 (of my regular 31 day cycle) they are yet to go as dark as or darker than the control strip. (which is how the instuctions say to detect the LH surge) On day 17 the test strip then dissapears and I'm then left with just the control strip.

Is this something that I should be going to my doctors about or do i just accept the darkest day as my ovulation reading?

Has anyone else experienced these results?
Thank you.

I think it depends on how dark it is. How often do you test in a day. You might be one of the women who surges less than 24 hrs so if you test only once a day, there is a possibility that oyu missed the surge.

https://www.peeonastick.com/opkfaq.html

They have great info on OPK testing. Hope this helps.

Just wanted to add that the way to tell for sure if you ovulated is by taking your temps in the morning. A rise in temp will let you know that you ovulated. Just because you get a positive LH surge does not guarantee that you ovulated.

I only take it once a day at about 430 so that is really good advice, ill try doing it twice. Thanks for adding the bit about the temp. I had been doing that before i started on the ovulation test sticks but found that the results were quite random, i thought the prob we me as i am a light sleeper and get up for the loo in the night, breaking my sleep but now im starting to think that it is more.

Hi Claire,

I don't think it's more. I think you are missing you high LH reading. Once a day isn't enough I think. Try morning (after you have been up for as long as possible) and in the late afternoon/early evening. That way if your surge only lasts 24 hours, you will reduce your chances of missing it.

I got all excited about seeing a darker test line and expected an even darker one today. Have you looked at the link Akcher posted here, it looks very interesting and has given me encouragement to look out for the surge in about 10 days time. I'm not giving up yet. This is only my 3rd EVER day testing and I was lucky enough for some kind person to give me the advice to test twice a day; I wouldn't have known otherwise.

You are right, this is a great place to be.

Cool. Ive just been on the BBT chart link that is at the bottom of Akcher's post and set one up for me. Feeling alot better now. Its such a weird time, you spend so long trying NOT to get pregnant and stress about it happening and when you then decide that you DO want to get pregnant you stress all over again! I've just got to calm down and think, it will happen when it happens!

Hi!

Some girls never get the line as dark or darker than the control line and ovulate. As sperm can live for a few days in your body, if you are BDing around about that time (even up to a couple of days before), you should catch your surge, even if you don't get that dark line on your ov sticks.

Good luck getting that BFP!

Thanks so much Poppy, i was hoping that someone might say that! We will just keep BDing and hopefully it will happen soon enough.

Hey, thought this was interesting so I've added it. Yesterday I emailed the suppliers of my ovulatiuon tests and they have replyed:

Hi Claire

In around 5% of ladies the urinary LH never reaches 25miu needed to give a positive result. This is quite normal for these ladies and they are usually ovulating. It does however make using Urinary LH tests quite difficult.
We usually recommend a trial of 3 cycles, which you have done, and then to try differnet brand to see if you can find one that gives clear positive results, possibly a digital one.

Thank you for contacting Access Diagnostics

So there you go!! Would be good if they put this on the intructions to save a bit of stress!!
Thank you very much for everones advice though.

Claire

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->