Corrected Gestational Scan - Ovulated late is possible?

Azasha

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

I went for my 1st scan today to check if my pregnancy was viable and for dating.

My last period was on 16th May 2023.
If based on the 28 days cycle, i should be 8 weeks 1 day today.

Due to my pcos, my cycles are haywire.. 35 days to 40 days at times.

So went in for scan, thinking my gestational sac was 8 weeks, turns out it was 6 weeks 2 days. I did my Beta HCG and the level was 2991.

Saw the fetal pole & heart flickering.

Is it possible I could ovulate late by 1 week or so? Anyone encounter this before?

Xoxo

If you have pics and regularly have 35-40 day cycles than absolutely yes. Even if you normally have regular 28 day cycles, it's possible to have a fluke ovulation later than usual and if you weren't tracking you'd never know. But if your cycles are usually 35-40 days that means ovulation would normally only be happening between 21 and 28 days, which translates to a week or two behind what a 14 day ovulation pregnancy would be measuring.
That means for a 40 day cycle, you aren't measuring behind at all but are right on track :thumbup: seeing a heartbeat is a great sign

Hi! Most definitely. Even if you are usually regular but especially if you have pcos. I’ve ovulated anywhere from CD 9 to CD 40+ when my pcos is acting up. When it’s managed (for me it’s a weight issue), it’s usually CD 14-18. The fetal pole with a heartbeat at 6w2 is definitely great!

HCG will vary wildly depending on a few factors but I would be sure to get a repeat in two to three days to make sure it’s doubling. Full transparency, my experience, 3k is very low for 6w2. Not knowing your exact O day though you gotta give yourself some wiggle room of a few days. But 6w2 is roughly 30dpo. My betas that I kept records on were:
DS - 15,900 at 24dpo (5w3)
DD - 40,907 at 27dpo (5w6) and 52,270 at 29dpo (6w1)
Vanishing twin - 60,313 at 30dpo (6w2)
So that being said I would 100% make sure you have a second beta draw

Thank hunn! Indeed i didnt track my ovulation as we weren't planning to successfully conceive naturally. My 1st child was via IVF after 6yrs of trying. So when finding out I'm naturally pregnant for #2, it's very shocking both me n my hubby. :laugh2:

I POAS on 28th June and saw these lines. (Photo) which im guessing was at 4 weeks++ gestational.

I will be scheduled another scan on Aug, 10. Will update again on the outcome..

20230628_210320.jpg

Hi! Most definitely. Even if you are usually regular but especially if you have pcos. I’ve ovulated anywhere from CD 9 to CD 40+ when my pcos is acting up. When it’s managed (for me it’s a weight issue), it’s usually CD 14-18. The fetal pole with a heartbeat at 6w2 is definitely great!

HCG will vary wildly depending on a few factors but I would be sure to get a repeat in two to three days to make sure it’s doubling. Full transparency, my experience, 3k is very low for 6w2. Not knowing your exact O day though you gotta give yourself some wiggle room of a few days. But 6w2 is roughly 30dpo. My betas that I kept records on were:
DS - 15,900 at 24dpo (5w3)
DD - 40,907 at 27dpo (5w6) and 52,270 at 29dpo (6w1)
Vanishing twin - 60,313 at 30dpo (6w2)
So that being said I would 100% make sure you have a second beta draw

The beta HCG was done 2 weeks earlier on the 3rd July when i found out im pregnant on 28th June. Which if we re correct the dates with the current scan of 6w2d, during my almost 5 weeks is 2991. My 1st child was 1111.7 at 5weeks. Im not sure if our units are the same dear. There is miu & iu units..

20230712_232817.jpg

Those are great! But you definitely would have been over 3k to get a 3+ on the cb weeks estimator especially if it was raining weeks ago. I took a cbwe at exactly 6w with DS and still only got 2-3w. I was so mad lol. I’m glad you’ll have another scan in a month! I love early scans. It’s standard here to have your first prenatal and scan between 8-10w. So cute.

Are you sure your result isn’t missing a digit? Either way, please please please ask your doctor to do a repeat draw if they didn’t already order it. They likely didn’t because after 6w the heartbeat is the better indicator of health. But just for good measure if it’s truly 2,991 then get a second draw.

Congratulations on the surprise! Hoping you have a lovely pregnancy!

The beta HCG was done 2 weeks earlier on the 3rd July when i found out im pregnant on 28th June. Which if we re correct the dates with the current scan of 6w2d, during my almost 5 weeks is 2991. My 1st child was 1111.7 at 5weeks. Im not sure if our units are the same dear. There is miu & iu units..

View attachment 1116301

whoops we were typing at the same time lol. That makes so much more sense lol. Jk jk ignore like 90% my last post haha

Those are great! But you definitely would have been over 3k to get a 3+ on the cb weeks estimator especially if it was raining weeks ago. I took a cbwe at exactly 6w with DS and still only got 2-3w. I was so mad lol. I’m glad you’ll have another scan in a month! I love early scans. It’s standard here to have your first prenatal and scan between 8-10w. So cute.

Are you sure your result isn’t missing a digit? Either way, please please please ask your doctor to do a repeat draw if they didn’t already order it. They likely didn’t because after 6w the heartbeat is the better indicator of health. But just for good measure if it’s truly 2,991 then get a second draw.

Congratulations on the surprise! Hoping you have a lovely pregnancy!

Thanks hunn!! Sure i will try!

Here where I'm from, once you have a beta HCG of above 250 iu/L, its considered as viable pregnancy if u didnt have any symptoms. I recalled having a chem preg in 2019 where my hcg was only 52iu/L at 5 weeks. They rarely do any second or 3rd beta hcg once it hits above 250iu/L.

But i'll try to get it done in my clinic when im back to work. I'll try to ask my Dr if he's ok with it. Lol! But he was satisfied to see my beta at 2991 with no other complaints.

View attachment 1116301
If it were really recorded as 2991 IU (international units) that would equate to nearly 3million miu (milli international units) which is impossible at 5 weeks.

International units are always really recorded as miu when it comes to HCG. IU/miu is the same way of measuring, and recognized everywhere (hence the name international units) as opposed to measurements that are taken in nmol/L vs ng/mL which do give very different results and might be what you are thinking of.

The range of normal is so vast - 2991 in the 5 week range is well within normal limits.

whoops we were typing at the same time lol. That makes so much more sense lol. Jk jk ignore like 90% my last post haha
Lol!! So cute!! No worries hunn!! I was wondering how could your readings reaches 52,000 for 6 weeks but again it was within the range based on the report n some online sites. :D

Last edited:
Def that’s a great beta for that gestation and the heartbeat is fantastic. I think I’m just spoiled with my doctors :rofl: I have an anxiety disorder so anytime I sneeze funny I’m a pain. It’s easier to just order me early scans or betas than listen to me panic :rofl: all is looking great! Def update us after your next scan

PCOS and ovulation is funky. I had a rather boink aversion month due to stress. But it seems I ovulated at CD5-7 when I was sick with Covid. And now I have a happy life sentence

PCOS and ovulation is funky. I had a rather boink aversion month due to stress. But it seems I ovulated at CD5-7 when I was sick with Covid. And now I have a happy life sentence

Currently I am admitted to the infectious unit for covid with a temp of 39.2°C (102.56°F) with a lump at my neck. I'm worried for my fetus.. i hope everything will be fine.. admitted to the isolation room..

Sorry to hear that! I hope it passes quickly and little bean stays healthy.

Sorry to hear your sick. Get well soon!

Hi ladies..

Just to update that we lost the baby yesterday..

Baby heartbeat stopped & i miscarriage it... :cry:

At 10pm yesterday, spontaneous cramping & contractions occurred..

Size of a lemon - sac + placenta was seen out... :cry::cry::cry:

It was painful in the heart for me... I couldn't believe it... :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back