Sch group (Subchorionic Hematoma)

So sorry to read this Bumble, do they know what happened? Hoping twin 2 is ok. Xx

Hopeful, do you get one big gush a day that fills the pad in one go?

After my last episode of heavy bleeding every other day, I haven’t had any bleeding for about 10 days until this morning. Red blood again, not gushing out but there is alot on the toilet paper when I wipe. I had a scan last Tuesday and the baby looked ok, although wasn’t really moving as she was asleep which worried me. I have treated myself for thrush on friday evening, so I am obviously blaming myself for causing another bleed, although its most likely just a coincidence. I suppose I will book in for another private scan, this will be my 9th scan but I’m just a nervous wreck! Xx

I bleed constantly like a heavy period, and about 3 times a day plus first thing in the morning on getting up, I have a gush which usually messes up my clothes if i’ve not changed the pad in the last 15 mins. It varies between brown and pink but not any really bright red since the two big bleeds at 11 weeks. The midwife has checked my haemoglobin a couple times and I’m keeping up with it by eating lots of steak, spinach and chickpeas so far! Heartbeat is still going well so I am reassured by that, and i’m glad to be back at work at least doing office duties and feeling a bit more useful.

My little one was asleep for the NT scan - we had to go away and have cake and cuppa and I did lots of walking and jumping with the ultrasonographer to wake it up so it would move to a better place for measurement. Third time lucky on that count. It’s normal for them to be asleep sometimes and wriggly at others.

Doppler has been the saviour of my mental health. Anytime I have bad cramps or am worried I can just have a listen and feel reassured. Sometimes takes a while to find it and I have to stop and try again half an hour later, especially if i’ve recently eaten, but so far it has always been there. You can get them on eBay pretty cheap, I got the same model as we have at work to do exactly the same job (and test other blood vessels for flow) for about £30 second hand on there.

I use a doppler but obviously with twins i was never sure if i found both, turned out i didn't after 13 weeks. I still use it now every day but baby is moving about so i feel him sometimes too. My bleed has resolved on scan but still spotting light brown, hate having to wear a pad every day and night x

I have also just bought a doppler off Ebay, I was worried it could just cause me more concern but I can’t keep paying for private scans, I think I’ve had 7 private ones now. My GP has no interest and when I spoke to her about my recent bleed said she thought it was unlikely to still be the hematoma and could be a miscarriage, but she also told me I would have to wait for my 20 week scan to see! Luckily I was already booked in with the midwife yesterday who sent me straight over to the hospital who checked my cervix etc and have now agreed that my care will be consultant led, so I feel a little less alone now.

How far along are you now Hopeful? i can’t wait to start feeling movement, that will be such a reassurance. xx

I am 16 weeks, and just occasionally if I am lying in a particular position I feel the baby flip. Not reliably or if I am up and about or doing anything else though.

Doppler is great as long as you are able to differentiate between your heartbeat and the much faster baby’s heartbeat. All the scaremongering about them relates to a few cases of pregnant women either falsely being reassured after only hearing their own placenta, or from ignoring other signs of trouble such as waters breaking, or significant bleeding, because they found a heartbeat so didn’t attend hospital or contact midwife.

Bumbl b - I am so tired of bleeding now. I am getting really sore from endlessly wearing pads. It does seem to be slowing now though, some days I can get away with liners only.

Hopeful, what does the placenta sound like? I listened for my heartbeat first so I could easily distinguish it from the babies which sounded like a galloping horse.

I had my first appt with the consultant this morning, it has done nothing to reassure me as she basically just told me I was at high risk of miscarriage from it, didn’t scan me/listen for heartbeat, even though the bleeding has only been moderate and dark brown for the last 10 days. I can’t wait to get home and listen for the heartbeat again. xx

Placenta is a whooshing at the same rate as your own pulse, so around 70 or so. The baby should be around 140-160 beats per minute so you’re spot on Praying. If it is that fast and whooshing you are probably listening to the baby’s umbilical cord (which is fine as if there is a baby heartbeat there is a cord heartbeat). The baby’s heart sounds themselves are much more clicky and defined and not whooshing, but like a clearly defined gallop. Perhaps have a look on you tube for some videos with sound - there are lots of them.

Main thing I guess is if it’s about double the rate of your own heartbeat it is most likely the baby (there are a few weird reflection type artefacts with ultrasound but they are pretty unlikely to happen, and if they do, they cause something which could mimic the whooshing cord sound, but not the baby heart sound itself). You can find the heartbeat itself by following the cord, just keep moving along the strongest baby whooshing until the type of sound changes but the rate is the same fast one. You might need to follow it in both directions from where you start to find which way is towards baby.

I hate to jinx things, but I may finally have stopped bleeding after 12 weeks of it!

Crossing my fingers for 20wk scan in 2 weeks that all is ok and the damn thing is gone for good.

Hey ladies, just wanted to jump in if you don't mind. I had been bleeding from 4 weeks to 9 weeks, and then stopped bleeding. Had an ultrasound at 8 weeks, and they did not find a cause for the bleeding. No more bleeding since 9 weeks, and all of a sudden at 14 weeks I had the worst bleed in all 8 of my pregnancies minus my miscarriages of course. I freaked out and rushed to the ER. The doctor did blood work and a scan, and found that I have an SCH. Told me to bedrest and follow up with my doctor. I called the nurse at the office today and she said that the doctor wanted to see me in the morning. She stated that they normally only see these in the 1st trimester, and they dissolve. She said that if they continue or in my case show up into the 2nd trimester that the do not like that. She said the doctor would most likely send me to maternal fetal medicine to be monitored and have me on strict bedrest and pelvic rest. I am worried as this is what caused my miscarriage the 1st time. However, I did not do bedrest that time as I had a very demanding and physical job at the time. I am still worried none the less. Thanks for hearing me out ladies.

Hey ladies, just wanted to jump in if you don't mind. I had been bleeding from 4 weeks to 9 weeks, and then stopped bleeding. Had an ultrasound at 8 weeks, and they did not find a cause for the bleeding. No more bleeding since 9 weeks, and all of a sudden at 14 weeks I had the worst bleed in all 8 of my pregnancies minus my miscarriages of course. I freaked out and rushed to the ER. The doctor did blood work and a scan, and found that I have an SCH. Told me to bedrest and follow up with my doctor. I called the nurse at the office today and she said that the doctor wanted to see me in the morning. She stated that they normally only see these in the 1st trimester, and they dissolve. She said that if they continue or in my case show up into the 2nd trimester that the do not like that. She said the doctor would most likely send me to maternal fetal medicine to be monitored and have me on strict bedrest and pelvic rest. I am worried as this is what caused my miscarriage the 1st time. However, I did not do bedrest that time as I had a very demanding and physical job at the time. I am still worried none the less. Thanks for hearing me out ladies.
Hope you are doing ok. I bled from 11 to 13 weeks & now mine is resolved & it was big. I only did bed rest whilst bleeding red, then bled brown for a good few weeks & even now i get a tinge of it sometimes. Good luck with everything & keep us updated xxx

Hi baby girl!

I really recommend reading the entire thread as it gave me so much reassurance with a huge majority of positive stories, when I first had problems and was horribly anxious.

SCH are also common in the second trimester, but most resolve by 20 weeks, and even of those that remain the vast, vast majority of pregnancies continue entirely normally. There are tiny increased risks of miscarriage and PROM due to irritation of the amniotic sac by the blood. These risks seem to be associated with the size of the haematoma and whether it underlies the placenta. All other evidence is totally contradictory and none of it is really good enough to change practise as the studies are so small, methodologically flawed, and/or say the opposite things to each other. I read every single one of them when I was in my panic in the first few weeks of bleeding.

In the U.K. the obstetricians do absolutely nothing and recommend no changes to anything you do normally as it makes no difference to outcome (because of the things in the above paragraph), but I did choose to be off work and rest up, including no sex/orgasms, whilst the bleeding was heavier than a period. To be honest I had 2 large bleeds (red footprints in the carpet) and was anaemic as well as stressed out of my head with it, and just too tired for my physical and mentally challenging job. My bleeding was always very gushing, I never fancied being stood in front of a patient or leading a trauma call and then having my own blood trickling into my socks! I’m back at work now since only having spotting the last week or so.

So hang on in there!

20 week scan today and baby is all well. Haematoma is still there, and still huge, but clotted. Fingers crossed now we get as far along as possible without premature rupture of membranes.

20 week scan today and baby is all well. Haematoma is still there, and still huge, but clotted. Fingers crossed now we get as far along as possible without premature rupture of membranes.
Mines still visible too. I have my mri tomorrow but won't get a scan or the results until next friday xx

Fingers crossed till next Friday Bumbl. I think my next scan is in about 3 weeks, then once a month till birth.

I’ve got a stinking cold and my belly is achy from the coughing and sneezing - most irritating on such a sunny holiday weekend, but at least i’ve been able to lie out on a lounger in the sun. How is your garden in the sunshine Bumbl?

Fingers crossed till next Friday Bumbl. I think my next scan is in about 3 weeks, then once a month till birth.

I’ve got a stinking cold and my belly is achy from the coughing and sneezing - most irritating on such a sunny holiday weekend, but at least i’ve been able to lie out on a lounger in the sun. How is your garden in the sunshine Bumbl?
It's been lovely, we had a bbq today :) tomorrow we are going to the beach. Hubby worked friday but not back until tuesday so it's been nice having him home xx

I had my 20 week scan a couple of weeks ago and my hematoma is still there too, although they think it is shrinking and only having minimal light brown spotting now. I haven’t been offered any further scans though so it is good that you are being scanned monthly. Have you been told that premature rupture of membranes is likely? I have a follow up with my consultant this week so I will ask about further scans.

We haven’t told anyone yet about the baby but plan to tell family later today! xx

Yeah I read all the medical journal papers on SCH and to be honest most of them are scientifically sketchy and not enough study participants to provide solid evidence for a change practice. PPROM seems to be a tiny increased risk over non SCH women, but still <10% risk (around 7% for the other folk). I’m not so fussed what happens after 32 weeks as the odds of a good outcome are so high.

I’m getting extra scans because of my age and booking BMI rather than the SCH. I got preggers right slap bang in the middle of a major weight loss exercise and if they’d weighed me at 12 weeks I would have been under the threshold for extra scanning. Not that I’m complaining about extra chances to see the little one!

Last edited:
The next target is passed.....24 weeks! Hoping baby and haematoma hang around a while yet. Next important one is 32 weeks, after which chances of medical problems are low.

So yesterday, at my 32 week scan the haematoma is finally gone hurrah!! Now just need to hang on to the baby that is very much head down on my cervix a couple more weeks and everything will be grand.

Ladies, I'm currently 11weeks 4days pregnant. I started bleeding Tuesday evening. It was just pouring out no stopping it although it wasn't accompanied by pain it was more a discomfort. I called 111 who sent an ambulance straight away.
To cut a long story short the hospital didn't do much as there was no one around to scan me so they sent me home still bleeding and none the wiser as to what was happening to my body and my baby. They instead booked me to go in for a scan on Friday (tomorrow)... of course I couldn't wait... I needed to know my baby was safe.
I passed 3 large clots and believed it was all over.
I woke yesterday morning and booked in at a private scan place. They scanned me and there was baby bouncing around, heart beating away perfectly. The sonographer said she could see the bleed and noted it as a subchorionic hematoma that was measuring 4cm x 1.99cm. Unfortunately they're not allowed to give too much info but what she did say is baby is unaffected right now, it all depends if the bleed is going to affect the placenta and cause it to detach from where it implanted. I have attached a couple of pictures from yesterdays scan. I stupidly didnt ask where the bleed is on the scan nor where my placenta is on the scan... do any of you ladies know by looking at my scans?
I am still bleeding and passing clots

Screenshot_20190717-191128_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20190717-191049_Gallery.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->