Ear piercing

Status
Not open for further replies.
When? When she asks....well ok, as long as she is at least age 12?

What do I think of it? Cruel

What do I think of when I see a baby/toddler with pierced ears - cruel parents that have put a child through unnecessary pain for their own satisfaction.

is this for real? you can have an opinion without being EXTREMELY INSULTING:growlmad:

:thumbup:

I must admit, babies with pierced ears are not for me, its not something I personally like the look of but its not my kid, so in the nicest possible way, I don't care.

When it comes to Millie, she has to be old enough to

a) ask for it
b) understand the consequences
c) be able to look after them herself so they don't get infected

same was applied to me when I had mine done. All I remember is showing the hairdresser (that's where they did it) my bag full of marbles which I was very proud of!

Just another curious question.. Since I didn't even know a simple ear piercing can raise so much negativity...

Do you not circumcise your boys either and think that's cruel too?

Like I said... In my culture, grandmoms usually pierce their grandbabies ears, and it's a HUGE luxury to adorn their little girls w. gold.

But we do not circumcise our boys.

No need to get feisty and nasty. Just... An honest question. State your opinions, but please refrain from belittling others.

I had to wait till 15, my mum is old school and hates piercings, so of course I went and got 8! (over a couple of years) still have my nose done, bottom ears and tragus, closed the rest now :)
Anyway if I have a girl around 11 I guess, secondary school age. Boy well once he's a certain age if he desperately wants he can get one, I dunno, 18 ;-)
Not babies, no idea about culture, my family/friends don't do it. It's seen as a bit errr, tacky here. Sorry :-\

Edit, circumcisions in the same thread? These are b and b controversial topics!

Just another curious question.. Since I didn't even know a simple ear piercing can raise so much negativity...

No, I dont, and yes, I do think thats cruel too.

I understand being curious, but I'm afraid that addressing circumcision and ear piercing in one thread will turn into a giant, bloody mess that not even a limerick can solve.

I wont be getting DDs ears pierced until she's old enough to understand, ask for and take care of the piercing. Personally, I dont see the need for it, she's perfect to me as it is and no piercing is going to change that. I feel I'd be inflicting unnecessary pain on her.

Mine were done at age 3 and 1 was ripped out at school when I was 5. I'm now scarred for life as a result x

Could you not just buy some pretty clip-on earrings for your LO so that they wouldnt have to go through the pain involved?:flower:

I wouldn't circumcise either, I think it's completely unnecessary and an uncircumcised penis is no more hygienic or prone to infections than an circumcised penis. It's like having your tonsils removed at birth for fear of getting tonsillitis in later life.

Like I said... In my culture, grandmoms usually pierce their grandbabies ears, and it's a HUGE luxury to adorn their little girls w. gold.

But we do not circumcise our boys.

No need to get feisty and nasty. Just... An honest question. State your opinions, but please refrain from belittling others.

In the UK its not common to circumcise unless for religious (or medical) reasons, so again I would say no unless there was a medical reason should I have a son.

Plus I find willies ugly things and i think snipping the end off makes 'em that little bit uglier! :haha:

I respect others right to do what they want, but personally I see it as cruel and unnecessary, if its a cultural thing then, we'll maybe it's the norm, and like the op says, she didn't think much of it as its totally normal!

I just can't get my head round it, why does a baby need to wear earrings? I think it's done solely for the parents benefit which in my opinion is wrong. I do think its a bit tacky, trashy maybe isn't the right word, but, as insulting as it might be, I would think chav if I saw a baby with pierced ears! Sorry!

Just a reminder

Antisocial, discriminatory or offensive messages (intended or otherwise) aimed at the community at large, certain demographics (including parenting styles) or specific members, are not permitted.

i definately had a different opinion on circumcision before i found out i was having a boy. i will not circ my son, it comes with far more risks than ear piercing. you cant even compare the two!

I understand being curious, but I'm afraid that addressing circumcision and ear piercing in one thread will turn into a giant, bloody mess that not even a limerick can solve.

Honestly didn't know.

I just assumed parents pierced their babies ears and adorned them with gold to show how much value they placed on them, which is huge in a culture that almost always would prefer a boy over a girl... Hence.. Ear piercing is a sign of love in a way...

And with the circumcision, as parents doing it for medical reasons? (Don't know about this one as, like I said, it's not normal in our culture.)

Just something I was thinking as, like I said LO just got her shots and handled it like a champ.

there are no medical reasons for getting it done.

I have to say this for the other side of the argument. I know a few friends who had theirs done as babies and were so glad they did because they could never do it now because they are to afraid of the pain.

there are no medical reasons for getting it done.

I think there can be.

I am sure my friend had to get her 10 year old circumcised as the foreskin was too tight. Admittedly he was older but it was still medically required.

I know a few people who had it done on young babies, and they all used numbing cream so it didn't hurt them. As far as doing it for looks, erm, yes, that's why a lot of people do it. However, lets not pretend that none of us have ever put aside comfort for looks. Cute outfits, tutus, shoes, headbands, etc aren't there for our LO's benefit.

ive heard of this i think, but i wouldnt get it done at birth just in case this happens. does anyone know the chances of having it done for medical reasons later in life? i hope the stats are low:-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"