Ear piercing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not very quiet on Baby Club lately. Taking LO to Claire's in the iCandy. Gonna give her some Coke afterwards.

She can have them pierced when she's old enough to ask. :)

Not very quiet on Baby Club lately. Taking LO to Claire's in the iCandy. Gonna give her some Coke afterwards.

She can have them pierced when she's old enough to ask. :)

I totally thought of bnb earlier when I drove past a woman pushing an icandy, with a yummy mummy change bag and a massive next bag. All I could think of was that thread :rofl:

When my LO was 4 months I decided I wanted to get her ears pierced. I kept questioning it, but then whenever I went out and saw babies with pierced ears, they looked real trashy and their parents looked like chavs, which completely put me off! Looking back now I am soooo glad I didn't get it done. I remember when she got her 8 week injections and I cried my eyes out seeing her scream in pain. There's no way I can justify putting her through that again for the sake of ear piercings. She can have them done when she asks, and she's old enough to understand how to look after them properly.

I love piercings and tattoo's however I believe part of having body jewelry is dealing with the pain and the aftercare.

So DD can get her ears pierced when she is old enough to deal with the pain that comes with getting her ears pierced and can help take care of them. I think the earliest I would let her is 5-6

Hmm... Culturally, we pierce our babies ears within mere days.

My grandmom was about 80 at the time, and she pierced mine with a needle and thread. lol

How can you end that with lol? Who thinks it's funny to stick a needle and thread through a baby's ear?

And this is why we can't have nice discussions.

Who are you to tell her that her culture is wrong and she needs to end its practices? If you don't agree fine, but it's ridiculous to think that she should conform to more Western ways of thinking over your own prejudices. It's a needle, not a bullet.

OP, I'm waiting until LO is old enough to ask because I want the mother/daughter memory. But that's just me!

I'm not sure yet DD1 is 6 she did ask for them when she was 5 but I told her not until she can keep her room clean haha we say the same when she asks for a puppy aswell haha so she will probably never get them done, DD2 pulls at the ears when's she's tired but the same rule will apply to her aswell

Why thank you randianne, and those that gave genuine answers.

It's such a norm to me, I didn't even think it was a big deal.

I just wanted an honest answer, after seeing she barely cried when she got her first series of vaccine the other day.

Hmm... Culturally, we pierce our babies ears within mere days.

My grandmom was about 80 at the time, and she pierced mine with a needle and thread. lol

How can you end that with lol? Who thinks it's funny to stick a needle and thread through a baby's ear?

And this is why we can't have nice discussions.

Who are you to tell her that her culture is wrong and she needs to end its practices? If you don't agree fine, but it's ridiculous to think that she should conform to more Western ways of thinking over your own prejudices. It's a needle, not a bullet.

OP, I'm waiting until LO is old enough to ask because I want the mother/daughter memory. But that's just me!

Agreed!

When she's old enough to ask and understand how to take care of them properly. I was 8 when I got mine done, I'd been asking for months. My mum took me to Claire's though, and I've NEVER forgiven her! :haha: Joking, she didn't know any better and luckily my ears are fine.

I personally think its wrong to pierce a baby's ears. It's a body modification, not only is she too young to understand what's going on, it's unfair to inflict unnecessary pain/discomfort on her (even if she doesn't cry whilst having it done) just for the sake of a pair of ear rings. It's not my body so I have no right. For all I know she might grow up to not want her ears pierced. I hardly ever wear ear rings now but I'm glad I was given the opportunity to decide to have them done.

Ok well I am a big jerk and got Anabella's done at 7 weeks. I had mine done as a baby, all the girls always have, we used numbing cream, she didn't feel a thing (& "not at Claire's" lol). Yes, I had a moral battle with myself and almost gave in while holding her, but they turned out perfectly and havent had to do anything with them since. She has never touched them, they healed fast and perfect. I do very much respect those that do not value piercing a baby's ear so please do not skewer me for this... I respect 99% of moms!

Food for thought - A random Apple employee was helping my dad when me and my mom found him after getting her ears done and the employee said she was SO jealous, she wished she would of had them done as a baby

I met a Peruvian lady today with her babys ears pierced and she said in Peru they pierce them at the hospital. A mother or grandmother gives the new mom/baby earrings and the hospital pierced the ears with them, and it is very special.

I think I am going to unsubscribe from this thread right now, I'm scared to be "the bad mom" *nervous laugh*... oh and to a pp, we are not trashy either :haha: i havent gotten one negative comment (to my face ::haha:) about getting them done, everyone loves them. DF and I did thoroughly discuss it too :flower:

eta: it was 8 weeks

I have no age in mind really, just whenever she asks me and I think she's old enough to look after them. I was 10 when my parents let me have them done, which was a good age I think.

When my LO was 4 months I decided I wanted to get her ears pierced. I kept questioning it, but then whenever I went out and saw babies with pierced ears, they looked real trashy and their parents looked like chavs, which completely put me off! Looking back now I am soooo glad I didn't get it done. I remember when she got her 8 week injections and I cried my eyes out seeing her scream in pain. There's no way I can justify putting her through that again for the sake of ear piercings. She can have them done when she asks, and she's old enough to understand how to look after them properly.

babys with earrings dont look trashy! how can a baby look trashy? i got my first daughters done at 3 and will be getting my two year olds done soon. i see nothing wrong with this:thumbup:

Ok well I am a big jerk and got Anabella's done at 7 weeks. I had mine does as a baby, all the girls always have, we used numbing cream, she didn't feel a thing. Yes, I had a moral battle with myself and almost gave in while holding her, but they turned out perfectly and havent had to do anything with them since. She has never touched them, they healed fast and perfect. I do very much respect those that do not value piercing a baby's ear so please do not skewer me for this... I respect 99% of moms!

Food for thought - A random Apple employee was helping my dad when me and my mom found him after getting her ears done and the employee said she was SO jealous, she wished she would of had them done as a baby

I met a Peruvian lady today with her babys ears pierced and she said in Peru they pierce them at the hospital. A mother or grandmother gives the new mom/baby earrings and the hospital pierced the ears with them, and it is very special.

I think I am going to unsubscribe from this thread right now, I'm scared to be "the bad mom" *nervous laugh*... oh and to a pp, we are not trashy either :haha: i havent gotten one negative comment (to my face ::haha:) about getting them done, everyone loves them. DF and I did thoroughly discuss it too :flower:

Different cultures have different outlooks on things it's nice to see different opinions. In my culture it's very common to get ears pierced at a young age too in fact I think mine were done when I was 3/4 years old maybe, not sure. I do remember asking for them though lol which is what I would have done IF I had a daughter :)
Ps your LO is so cute!

babys with earrings dont look trashy! how can a baby look trashy? i got my first daughters done at 3 and will be getting my two year olds done soon. i see nothing wrong with this:thumbup:

This is what I think every time one of these threads pop up. If you don't agree with it or don't like the look then fine. But who looks at an innocent baby and sees 'trashy'? IMO, it says a whole lot more about the person looking at the earrings then it does about the baby and her mother.

I'm still on the fence. I had them done as a baby - can't remember the pain and am glad about that. I hate inflicting pain on my little girl and that's the only factor preventing me doing it at the moment.

I love that my Mum pierced my ears. I don't feel "violated" or that she took my decision from me. She's my Mum and was doing what she felt was in my best interest.

In all honesty I don't believe a 5 year old can make an informed choice. They will see it as a wonderful idea and not understand the pain involved until at the time/afterwards. In the end (in my opinion) you have a combination of the parent endorsing said "evil" body modification and the experience/memory of pain.

Edit: The other thing preventing me is finding a place that uses needles and not a gun. That is hard!

I was 7 when I had it done because I nagged and nagged, I loved having my ears pierced but I don't really wear earrings anymore because LO just pulls them out!

As for if i have a daughter I'd wait until she was old enough to ask and to look after them herself once they are pierced. That was my condition of having them done and I made sure I cleaned them every night thoroughly so they didn't get infected.

When? When she asks....well ok, as long as she is at least age 12?

What do I think of it? Cruel

What do I think of when I see a baby/toddler with pierced ears - cruel parents that have put a child through unnecessary pain for their own satisfaction.

When she's old enough to ask for them and take care of them herself.

I generally don't see the point in having them done as a baby and I'll keep it nice and just say that I think they look a bit silly.

Not to mention, taking care of a baby is enough work without adding on piercing aftercare and the potential to have to deal with an infection.

I have had enough piercings (including one gone wrong) to know that I'm just not up for taking care of someone else's.

When? When she asks....well ok, as long as she is at least age 12?

What do I think of it? Cruel

What do I think of when I see a baby/toddler with pierced ears - cruel parents that have put a child through unnecessary pain for their own satisfaction.

is this for real? you can have an opinion without being EXTREMELY INSULTING:growlmad:

This is what I think every time one of these threads pop up. If you don't agree with it or don't like the look then fine. But who looks at an innocent baby and sees 'trashy'? IMO, it says a whole lot more about the person looking at the earrings then it does about the baby and her mother.

i agree:) ive never looked at a baby and thought "trashy" especially when its just gold studs in a babys ears. and im not sure what "chav" means but im sure its insulting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"