The ins and outs of exclusively expressing

Thanks for the tips and encouragement, ladies! Pumping is hard work, and it's often hard to pump with a little one to look after and no one else home during the day. There have been many times when I've resented having to pump, but then I look at my baby girl and know that it's worth it for her. The middle of the night pumping is the hardest one for me, especially now that my daughter seems to be sleeping for longer stretches at night. My husband is looking forward to being able to leave the house for longer stretches, too. I will pump away from the house when I need to, but I prefer using the larger Medela Symphony pump over my portable Pump in Style one, and I'm not really a fan of pumping in the car. I applaud you ladies who have been able to do this long-term. :thumbup:

there are LOTS of time's where I resented pumping! My advice is try and make it enjoyable when you can. For instance when I'm at work and have to pump I watch Netflix on my computer. Started a TV show series I always wanted to watch but never had time for. You're chained to the pump and can't do anything else so why not indulge a little...read a book, watch an episode of a TV show, paint your nails, ect..assuming you have a hands free bra. If not you def need one, I made my own. As for leaving the house for longer periods my husband actually bought me a car charger for my pump. So If we were going to be gone for a long time I'd just pump in the back seat while we were driving to the next place. In the early months I would pump right before we left the house. For instance, my mom would come over to watch the baby so me and DH could have a date day. I would pump right before we left, we would go to a movie or the mall or whatever then I would pump in the car as we drove to the restaurant.

May I ask why you were unable to feed directly from the breast?

I have a hands free pumping bra. I think I'd lose my mind without one. :haha: Unfortunately, my flow doesn't seem very productive most of the time unless I'm actively doing compressions throughout the entire session. :dohh: I follow similar practices when we leave the house -- pumping right before it's time to go, and pumping from the backseat if necessary. I bought a poncho-style nursing coverup that gives me more coverage than the typical apron-style ones.

BF didn't work out very well for us. My daughter had a difficult time latching because I have inverted/flat nipples (nipple shields didn't help). I also had difficulty producing milk, and DD kept getting very frustrated whenever she tried to feed and wasn't getting anything for her efforts. She started losing too much weight while we were still in the hospital after her birth, and we were forced to start supplementing with formula. Once a bottle was introduced, DD developed a preference for the bottle, which was a lot easier and faster for her to extract milk from. She also learned bad sucking habits while on the bottle, and she'd tear my nipples to shreds and flatten them by biting down whenever I was able to manage to get her on. I'm not positive if she has any issues in her mouth that played a role in our troubles. I could never get her to open her mouth wide enough to take in more of the breast during feedings.

I've rented a hospital grade pump (Medela Symphony) as I was told that my Medela PIS wasn't sufficient enough for building up my milk supply. I've tried various supplements, mothers milk tea, fenugreek, blessed thistle, and lactation cookies, but I never noticed a direct response to any of them. I seem to continue getting a gradual increase with each passing week, which is promising. I hope that it will continue as I'd love to get more milk for DD -- especially as her appetite starts to increase.

The lactation consultants I worked with think my supply issues are related to fertility issues as we conceived my daughter through IVF. My doctor thinks that it is more likely the result of a difficult labor (40 hours before having a c-section) and the delayed postpartum hemorrhage (which required a D&C, 2 blood transfusions, and a brief hospital stay) that I experienced almost 2 weeks after the birth.

My husband suffers from several food allergies, one of which includes dairy. When we have to supplement, we've been using a soy-based one. I'm still unsure if she has any food allergies and am curious if she will be able to transition to cows milk when she is older. I still need to find a pediatric allergist that we can talk to about possibly testing her for food allergies.

Sorry for the long, rambling post. :dohh:

Disney

Have you had to cut dairy from your diet? If not and she is doing fine then she most likely does not have an allergy to dairy.

My husband is allergic to shellfish so since breastfeeding I have not been able to eat it and I'm dying to have some! One big thing I was looking forward to when I finally stopped.

So DS had his one year appointment yesterday. He is 20lbs and 31 inches. 20s percentile for weight and 70s% for height! Good strong growing boy! Now she gave me the okay to transition him to cows milk if I wanted to or she said with him eating at least 3 dairy foods a day such as cheese or yogurt I wouldn't have to even give him milk he could just have water. But that sounds kind of strange to me. She said babies sometimes will drink to much milk and not eat enough food if you give them too much milk. She said max 18oz a day of cows milk.

So now that I finally have to okay to stop pumping I'm actually having mixed feelings about it :wacko: In a way I'm relieved and want to stop but then again I know how good it is for him and feel like i'm being selfish if I stop for no good reason. My supply is still very high more than he drinks a day and there is no reason why I couldn't continue to pump 3 times a day like I have been. But I being selfish want to stop. Plus right now DS does not go to daycare but soon he might start going. So I know he is more likely to get sick and the breast milk would help fight against that. I'm just having doubts now. I don't know why I feel so much anxiety about stopping now!?!?!?:dohh:

Disney

Have you had to cut dairy from your diet? If not and she is doing fine then she most likely does not have an allergy to dairy.

My husband is allergic to shellfish so since breastfeeding I have not been able to eat it and I'm dying to have some! One big thing I was looking forward to when I finally stopped.

So DS had his one year appointment yesterday. He is 20lbs and 31 inches. 20s percentile for weight and 70s% for height! Good strong growing boy! Now she gave me the okay to transition him to cows milk if I wanted to or she said with him eating at least 3 dairy foods a day such as cheese or yogurt I wouldn't have to even give him milk he could just have water. But that sounds kind of strange to me. She said babies sometimes will drink to much milk and not eat enough food if you give them too much milk. She said max 18oz a day of cows milk.

So now that I finally have to okay to stop pumping I'm actually having mixed feelings about it :wacko: In a way I'm relieved and want to stop but then again I know how good it is for him and feel like i'm being selfish if I stop for no good reason. My supply is still very high more than he drinks a day and there is no reason why I couldn't continue to pump 3 times a day like I have been. But I being selfish want to stop. Plus right now DS does not go to daycare but soon he might start going. So I know he is more likely to get sick and the breast milk would help fight against that. I'm just having doubts now. I don't know why I feel so much anxiety about stopping now!?!?!?:dohh:

I think it's perfectly natural to feel anxiety about stopping. Now that I'm so close to never doing it again I keep having thoughts whether I should go back and build up my supply instead. It's my Hubby that keeps reminding me that it's not a terrible thing, and since DS is getting on with cows milk amongst the remains of my milk then not to worry about it.

I wasn't told to cut milk completely out of DS's diet, just to up his food intake and gradually drop his milk feeds. I see nothing wrong with continuing to keep the night feed until he's older, it's not like some adults don't have warm milk.

Disney

Nope - I haven't had to eliminate any foods from my diet. I'm hoping that's a good sign. I'd love to have someone to share desserts with when we eat out in the future. :haha: In all seriousness, I just want what's best for her and would rather not have her have to worry about what she can and cannot eat in the future.

Congrats on the great appointment for DS!

I'm relatively new to pumping compared to the rest of you, and I can't wait to rid myself of the pump. I can definitely understand your inner struggle with stopping, and I wish you the best with your decision. :hugs:

My little one will be 12 weeks this Saturday. Time is flying by! Around what time did everyone start reducing daily pumping sessions?

Disney

Nope - I haven't had to eliminate any foods from my diet. I'm hoping that's a good sign. I'd love to have someone to share desserts with when we eat out in the future. :haha: In all seriousness, I just want what's best for her and would rather not have her have to worry about what she can and cannot eat in the future.

I'm relatively new to pumping compared to the rest of you, and I can't wait to rid myself of the pump. I can definitely understand your inner struggle with stopping, and I wish you the best with your decision. :hugs:

My little one will be 12 weeks this Saturday. Time is flying by! Around what time did everyone start reducing daily pumping sessions?

For me it was about that time. I had gone round my Mother's house and forgot to take my pump with me. By the time I got my pump I was about 2 hours over with enormous swollen hot boobs. I pumped twice as much as I normally did, and it just went from there. Was only really when I got down to 3 pumps a day that my supply started to reduce.

Disney

For me it was about that time. I had gone round my Mother's house and forgot to take my pump with me. By the time I got my pump I was about 2 hours over with enormous swollen hot boobs. I pumped twice as much as I normally did, and it just went from there. Was only really when I got down to 3 pumps a day that my supply started to reduce.

Thanks! I plan to start reducing daily pumps gradually whenever I start, but I'm not sure how gradually to go or what method to follow. Any and all tips would be greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

I'm not quite sure what my eventual goal is for the number of pumps per day, but any sort of reduction will allow me more time with my little one (and a little more of my sanity, too!).

Does everyone still include a middle-of-the night pumping session?

Disney

Thanks! I plan to start reducing daily pumps gradually whenever I start, but I'm not sure how gradually to go or what method to follow. Any and all tips would be greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

I'm not quite sure what my eventual goal is for the number of pumps per day, but any sort of reduction will allow me more time with my little one (and a little more of my sanity, too!).

Does everyone still include a middle-of-the night pumping session?

Well I would suggest to go gradually by extending the time between by 30 minutes to maybe an hour longer depending on how comfortable you are and then go from there.

I haven't done a middle of the night pump since about 13 weeks as that was about the time that DS started sleeping through the night, plus I found it easy to go for longer hours between pumping when I was asleep. I used to do a pump at 1am, then wake at 8am for the early morning one, by which time if my alarm didn't wake me then my boobs certainly would.

Thanks! She's been sleeping through the night since last week. It's so hard to wake up and pump at 2:00 am while my husband and daughter are sound asleep. :wacko:

My current schedule is 2:00/5:00/8:00/11:00 AM & PM. I only started pumping on a timed schedule a few weeks ago.

Thanks! She's been sleeping through the night since last week. It's so hard to wake up and pump at 2:00 am while my husband and daughter are sound asleep. :wacko:

My current schedule is 2:00/5:00/8:00/11:00 AM & PM. I only started pumping on a timed schedule a few weeks ago.

You pump at 11am then don't pump again till 11pm?! Then you definitely could go through the night without pumping. I would pump more during the day and not pump throughout the night. Pump before bed then don't pump again till you wake up at the 5 or 8am.

You pump at 11am then don't pump again till 11pm?! Then you definitely could go through the night without pumping. I would pump more during the day and not pump throughout the night. Pump before bed then don't pump again till you wake up at the 5 or 8am.

Sorry - I should have been more clear. I pump at all of those times for both AM and PM (every 3 hours around the clock, 8 times total per day). :flower:

Sorry - I should have been more clear. I pump at all of those times for both AM and PM (every 3 hours around the clock, 8 times total per day). :flower:

Ooooh that makes A LOT more sense :dohh: I was wondering how you don't pump for 12 hours during the day. LOL

Well ladies I'm now just waiting for my milk to dry up now, so I guess it's more or less the end of my journey here. I just express enough to ease up the uncomfortable feeling after just over 3 days and because it's so little at just 40-50ml I end up throwing it which is something I thought I would never do. I've already retired the pump as I've found that hand expressing is so much quicker to do at this stage.

I'm down to my last 2 frozen feeds so DS is just getting it as a treat, and he's made the transition to cows milk fine. He's even dropped a feed so is down to 2 bottles a day. My little boy is just not all that little any more.

Good luck to everyone that is still continuing to pump, and to those that are considering taking the same route.

congrats missbabes and thank you for all your support and advice along the way! :flower:

I went down to two pumps a day over the weekend! Making around 22oz a day if I pump 3 times like I had been doing I was at 30oz still. I'm going to see if I can do just two pumps a day again today. My son still doesn't like cows milk but if I mix it with breastmilk, half and half he'll drink it. But he still won't drink it at all from a sippy cup. :growlmad: I was hoping to make the switch to cows milk and drop the bottle at the same time!

Hi ladies! I can't believe I'm only just finding this thread! I also pump for my girls, who are nearly 9 months old. But I have to say, I'm getting really discouraged. First of all, I've never made enough milk to exclusively feed my girls--we've always supplemented with formula. I've had mastitis twice and had so many clogged ducts, I couldn't even count. I've been back at work for about 4 months and have been given a sad little room that's also used for storage to pump in--people nearly walk in on me all day long (luckily the room has a lock!). Now I have thrush and am in tons of pain. I want to stop SO. BADLY. But I can't mentally get over the idea of stopping before they turn one.

Has anyone been in a similar boat?

Hi ladies! I can't believe I'm only just finding this thread! I also pump for my girls, who are nearly 9 months old. But I have to say, I'm getting really discouraged. First of all, I've never made enough milk to exclusively feed my girls--we've always supplemented with formula. I've had mastitis twice and had so many clogged ducts, I couldn't even count. I've been back at work for about 4 months and have been given a sad little room that's also used for storage to pump in--people nearly walk in on me all day long (luckily the room has a lock!). Now I have thrush and am in tons of pain. I want to stop SO. BADLY. But I can't mentally get over the idea of stopping before they turn one.

Has anyone been in a similar boat?

Hi first of all good job on pumping for as long as you have :thumbup: Now some questions so I can understand your situation better. How many oz a day do you pump, how much do you have to supplement, how many times a day do you pump and for how long? I used to get clogged ducts all the time and had mastitis twice. I stopped getting clogged ducts finally around 5 months. Have you tried taking Soy Lecithin to help with the clogged ducts? I also had a sad room to pump in at work, it was the service room. I ended up printing a sign like the ones at hotels that hang on the door. That said "pumping in progress please do not disturb" I've never had thrush but I'm sure that is no fun :nope: I struggled many times wanting to quit but now that my baby is 12 months which was my goal I find myself not wanting to give it up completely. I still pump twice a day. 9 months is a long time most moms don't even make it that far. So if you really want to quit and you think it will help you feel better physically and mentally therefore making you a better mommy then you should. But I have a feeling you're like me and will end up sticking it out!

Hi first of all good job on pumping for as long as you have :thumbup: Now some questions so I can understand your situation better. How many oz a day do you pump, how much do you have to supplement, how many times a day do you pump and for how long? I used to get clogged ducts all the time and had mastitis twice. I stopped getting clogged ducts finally around 5 months. Have you tried taking Soy Lecithin to help with the clogged ducts? I also had a sad room to pump in at work, it was the service room. I ended up printing a sign like the ones at hotels that hang on the door. That said "pumping in progress please do not disturb" I've never had thrush but I'm sure that is no fun :nope: I struggled many times wanting to quit but now that my baby is 12 months which was my goal I find myself not wanting to give it up completely. I still pump twice a day. 9 months is a long time most moms don't even make it that far. So if you really want to quit and you think it will help you feel better physically and mentally therefore making you a better mommy then you should. But I have a feeling you're like me and will end up sticking it out!

Mimzy, you are so sweet to respond! THANK YOU! I *believe* I pump about 46 oz per day. My girls drink 40-48 oz each per day (5-6 8oz bottles each day), so I give the girls bottles with half formula/half breast milk. I pump 5-6 times a day (5 am, 8 am, 11 am, 2 pm, 5 pm (if I'm lucky!) and 9 pm), usually half an hour each time. The 2 pm to 9 pm break is me finishing up the work day, metroing home, picking up the girls, feeding/bathing/putting them down, eating dinner. I do try to pump for about 15 minutes around 5 pm while they eat, but it doesn't always happen.

I think the thrush thing has just really thrown me for a loop. Twins is hard enough. Working full time downtown is hard enough (so is pumping in the sad room!). Now thrush, which will require untold hours of sanitizing. Not to mention the razor-like, burn-of-a-thousand-suns pain in the meantime. I just want to lay down and sleep (or eat a sleeve of Oreos). But I also want to keep this going until 12 months, which isn't too far away. This is probably a decision I shouldn't make when I'm upset. :wacko:

Hey Ladies!
So I'm exclusively pumping but recently my LO went from drinking 2.5...maybe 3 ounces to 4...and some times 4.5/5 right before bed. I can't keep up with his consumption so I have to give at least two bottles of formula. I hate this.
I can pump on average 25 ounces in 24 hours and my LO needs 30 - 32.
I pump every 4 hours on average so - 6 pumps a day. I've increased that by about two pumps. I try to make each bottle 4 ounces so I'll pump & if I make 4, great...if I make 3...I pump about half hour later to get that extra ounce. But I just CANT get more out of these boobies.
Any thoughts?

Well ladies I'm now just waiting for my milk to dry up now, so I guess it's more or less the end of my journey here. I just express enough to ease up the uncomfortable feeling after just over 3 days and because it's so little at just 40-50ml I end up throwing it which is something I thought I would never do. I've already retired the pump as I've found that hand expressing is so much quicker to do at this stage.

I'm down to my last 2 frozen feeds so DS is just getting it as a treat, and he's made the transition to cows milk fine. He's even dropped a feed so is down to 2 bottles a day. My little boy is just not all that little any more.

Good luck to everyone that is still continuing to pump, and to those that are considering taking the same route.

how did you hand express faster than pump? Ive heard of this & I've tried but no way can I do it faster...

Hey Ladies!
So I'm exclusively pumping but recently my LO went from drinking 2.5...maybe 3 ounces to 4...and some times 4.5/5 right before bed. I can't keep up with his consumption so I have to give at least two bottles of formula. I hate this.
I can pump on average 25 ounces in 24 hours and my LO needs 30 - 32.
I pump every 4 hours on average so - 6 pumps a day. I've increased that by about two pumps. I try to make each bottle 4 ounces so I'll pump & if I make 4, great...if I make 3...I pump about half hour later to get that extra ounce. But I just CANT get more out of these boobies.
Any thoughts?

With baby only being 2 months old your supply is still trying to establish so you should really try to pumping every 2-3 hours. How long are you pumping for? Make sure each breast is completely empty pumping for at lest 15 mins. Pump both at the same time. Have you tried taking any supplements like Fenugreek? You still have plenty of time to increase your supply. You can do it! Keep up the great great I know how challenging pumping is!! :hugs::hugs:

Whether I pump every 2-3 hours or every 4 I get the same result.
So through consulting I was told I could drop to every 4 hours. Usually tho I pump 8 times a day. Nothing I've done has helped. Increasing pumps didn't help, I always pump 20 min and drain. I compress while pumping. Fenugreek did nothing. I've plateaued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->