The ins and outs of exclusively expressing

Hey ladies, I'm just shy of the 8 month mark and just about to start the transition of going to just one pump a day. To be honest I'm a little nervous about it as I almost feel bad for it, but I know I'll feel the same way if I were to put it off. I've got a stash that will easily last over a month if not a little more so running out of milk isn't on my list of worries, just more the realisation that DS is not my tiny little baby anymore.

Hey ladies, I'm just shy of the 8 month mark and just about to start the transition of going to just one pump a day. To be honest I'm a little nervous about it as I almost feel bad for it, but I know I'll feel the same way if I were to put it off. I've got a stash that will easily last over a month if not a little more so running out of milk isn't on my list of worries, just more the realisation that DS is not my tiny little baby anymore.

I was just thinking this weekend how he's no longer my little baby! He's crawling all over the house (which makes it hard to pump lol) and eating food three times a day now! Its crazy how fast the time goes!

When are you going to transition baby to cows milk? Are you just going to keep your morning pump? You've done such a great job and absolutely no reason to feel bad about it!!!

I'm still at 4 pumps a day but DS is eating more solids and taking less milk so I could prob drop some pumps I'm just worried about if I needed to go away for a day or something and him not having enough milk. Since I do have a little deep freezer filled with milk that he won't drink :growlmad::growlmad::growlmad:

Hi ladies. I introduced myself a while back as I was exclusively pumping while my LO was in the NICU. Despite all efforts to breastfeed after 6 weeks I think I'm going to have to exclusively pump. Her latch is poor and her ability to transfer is not great even with a nipple shield. This makes for ab extremely fussy baby nursing up to 2 hours a session. I even tried the SNS and it made us both frustrated as she just couldn't get a good seal no matter what position the tube was in.

I'm looking for any advice you alll can give. I pumped every 3 hours while she was in the NICU and plan the same now. She currently takes 2 oz every 2 to 3 hours. My supply when I was only pumping was avg 30 oz a day so I hope I'll be able to keep up with her.

How often do you/did you pump throughout the months? Today is my original due date so I essentially have a newborn. She just happens to be 14 weeks old :haha: Also wondering if your LO's stayed true to the idea that a breastfed baby's intake doesn't change much in the first 6 mos and is around 1 oz an hour? Thanks for any help!

30 oz a day is very good and you should have no problem keeping up with her. I know lots of women who say their baby never took more than 5 oz at a feeding but my son takes a lot more than that. At one point he was taking over 40 oz a day. And he is was only in the 9% for weight! So he's just a big eater.

I started out pumping 7-8 times a day. You have to pump even throughout the night till your milk supply is established. Which doesn't happen till 12 weeks for most women. I was then able to gradually drop pumps to now pumping 4 times a day at 8 months. My son's intake definitely changed in the first 6 months. He started out taking 2 oz but by 6 months he could take 8 oz in one feeding. By two months he was taking 3-4 oz and it just increased from there. But of course they are not eating every 2 hours anymore either. Their tummy's can hold more food at once the older they get. My ped told me that a baby should be able to eat half their weight in ounces. So if baby is say 10 lbs she can eat 5 oz in one feeding.

I'm a newbie to expressing and it's taken me by surprise that I would be in this boat so I have a few questions I would love answers to if anyone can help.

How often do you pump? I'm doing 3-4 hourly on day and 4/5 hourly at night. I still feel engorged all the time.

Do I have to empty each breast? I have been pumping 10 mind each breast as told by hospital.

How long do you keep breast milk in fridge? I've been doing 24 hours.

Can I sterilise a few bottles at a time. Take them out and fasten them up empty and use them as and when or should I sterilse as I go along? I've been using a steam steriliser.

Is it normal for LO to cluster feed as if they are being directly breastfed?

I think that's all for now, thank you :D x x

I'm a newbie to expressing and it's taken me by surprise that I would be in this boat so I have a few questions I would love answers to if anyone can help.

How often do you pump? I'm doing 3-4 hourly on day and 4/5 hourly at night. I still feel engorged all the time.

Do I have to empty each breast? I have been pumping 10 mind each breast as told by hospital.

Can I sterilise a few bottles at a time. Take them out and fasten them up empty and use them as and when or should I sterilse as I go along? I've been using a steam steriliser.

I would pump more often and for a little longer, IMO. Since babies feed every 2-3 hours (aside from cluster feeding) it is usually recommend to pump that frequent as well, so that your breasts refill as often as baby would feed. If I go to 3 hours, I'm usually uncomfortable. 2-3 hours is better. Maybe a little bit longer at night is ok but to much longer in the beginning.

Yes, you should ideally empty each breast. Not only does it train your body on how much milk to make but it gives a better ratio of fore milk to hind milk.

On average BM at room temperature is good for 4-5 hours (although you can actually go longer, sometimes up to 8 hours, 4-5 hours is the ideal time period) and BM in the fridge is good up to 4-5 days.

I don't sterilize but would imagine that you can do a few bottles at a time. I don't see why not, someone else can chime in.

I've noticed that my Son sometimes will want more food after an hour and half, rather than the 2-3 hour window but generally I get 2-3 hours after a bottle feed. My son is almost 9 weeks and I give him 4 oz at a time when I bottle feed expressed milk. He's 12 lbs.

I would pump more often and for a little longer, IMO. Since babies feed every 2-3 hours (aside from cluster feeding) it is usually recommend to pump that frequent as well, so that your breasts refill as often as baby would feed. If I go to 3 hours, I'm usually uncomfortable. 2-3 hours is better. Maybe a little bit longer at night is ok but to much longer in the beginning.

Yes, you should ideally empty each breast. Not only does it train your body on how much milk to make but it gives a better ratio of fore milk to hind milk.

On average BM at room temperature is good for 4-5 hours (although you can actually go longer, sometimes up to 8 hours, 4-5 hours is the ideal time period) and BM in the fridge is good up to 4-5 days.

I don't sterilize but would imagine that you can do a few bottles at a time. I don't see why not, someone else can chime in.

I've noticed that my Son sometimes will want more food after an hour and half, rather than the 2-3 hour window but generally I get 2-3 hours after a bottle feed. My son is almost 9 weeks and I give him 4 oz at a time when I bottle feed expressed milk. He's 12 lbs.

Thanks for your response. I'm trying to get to pump every 3 hours but sometimes there aren't enough hours in the day. I have a 3 yr old too so it's difficult to cut out more pumping time without completely neglecting her.

On the other hand I would like to carry this on and I'm scared my supply will dry up. My LO is just over 3 weeks old and weighs 5lb 12oz. She takes 2-3oz every 2-3 hours. Sometimes she will want an extra ounce after an hour of feeding. She really seems to be thriving since birth though. She's put on 1lb 2oz in 2 weeks so that makes me happy!

Anyway thanks again x

I agree this early on you really need to be pumping every 2-3 hours. As often as the baby feeds, because your supply is not established yet. Supply and demand, you have to empty your breast so the body makes more otherwise it will think you don't need it. I think 10 mins is not enough time, you need to pump till you have a second let down and get the more 'fatty' milk not just the watery stuff that comes with the first let down. I would say at lest 15 mins, till that last drop!

I also don't sterilize, its not necessary. Just warm water and soap is good enough. Who has time to sterilize :haha:

Its normal for babies to cluster feed even though you are bottle feeding.

Also if you are worried about your supply start taking Fenugreek 3-4 capsules, 3-4 times a day. Till you start to smell like maple syrup! :thumbup:

Apologises for the lack of answers from me. I no longer have regular access to a laptop, and for some reason I find myself unable to get along with using the forum on my tablet whether or not I use the mobile version.

Anyways, just hit the 9 month mark of pumping and not quite on one pump a day as of yet. I've got a rotating schedule at the moment, where I pump once one day, then twice the next day (maximum length between for the one day pump is 20 hours so I'm gradually getting there). Not feeling as guilty as I had been, so seems like I'm getting over that phase. I'm sure having DS cruising around furniture near enough all day long has helped with that!

When I finally do get down to once a day I'll be pumping in the morning. I did toy with the idea of pumping just before bed but I'm really enjoying just going to bed on my single pump days, plus I get just a little bit more during the morning pump.

I'm gradually getting through my frozen supply (one defrosted every night) and even with the drop in supply I'm still finding that about once a week I still end up freezing a couple of feeds. If I really have to towards the end I will supplement with formula, but once DS is a year old will be making the transition for cows milk. All I can hope is that my pump will last that long!

The others have pretty much answered everything here, but I also used to use a steam steriliser. I used to just leave the bottles in the steriliser until they needed to be used, then used it again once it was empty. It more or less got put on once a day, so much less fuss than every time one was used.

I know guidelines recommend sterilising for a year, but I stopped sterilising when DS was about 6 months.

How do you all fit in the pumping? I'm struggling only 4 weeks in. My DD2 was cluster feeding yesterday for example from 8am to 2pm and then again 4pm to 7pm. In those times I struggle to pump at all cos I'm generally just feeding her, burping and once settled laying her back down only for her to wake up within 10 mins still hungry!!

Also my DD1 breaks up for summer at nursery in 3 weeks and if I stick to the recommended pumping then she is never gonna get to leave this house!

I'm torn with guilt between spending a lot less time with my big girl and wanting the best for baby girl! Ugh, I'm having a hard time with it at the moment!

Anyways thanks for all your help x x

How do you all fit in the pumping? I'm struggling only 4 weeks in. My DD2 was cluster feeding yesterday for example from 8am to 2pm and then again 4pm to 7pm. In those times I struggle to pump at all cos I'm generally just feeding her, burping and once settled laying her back down only for her to wake up within 10 mins still hungry!!

Also my DD1 breaks up for summer at nursery in 3 weeks and if I stick to the recommended pumping then she is never gonna get to leave this house!

I'm torn with guilt between spending a lot less time with my big girl and wanting the best for baby girl! Ugh, I'm having a hard time with it at the moment!

In my case DS is my firstborn so obviously didn't have to fit in looking after another child. Have to admit that my Hubby was an absolute rock in the early weeks (and growth spurt days), he typically works from home so he was able to watch over DS during my pumping sessions.

You'll also find that you'll fall into a routine which you can eventually work around, granted that it's easier said than done in the early weeks.

Good luck to you as really you're at the hardest point now.

In my case DS is my firstborn so obviously didn't have to fit in looking after another child. Have to admit that my Hubby was an absolute rock in the early weeks (and growth spurt days), he typically works from home so he was able to watch over DS during my pumping sessions.

You'll also find that you'll fall into a routine which you can eventually work around, granted that it's easier said than done in the early weeks.

Good luck to you as really you're at the hardest point now.

Thanks. Unfortunately OH works mon-fri and leaves the house at 6am so if this is gonna work I have to find a way to do this myself!

I'm gonna take it week by week and try to be positive in that each feed and pump I manage is a bonus 😃 x x

This is also my first so that makes things a ton easier I'm sure. I can't imagine having to pump every 2 hours, take care of a newborn, and a toddler! So kudos to you for even trying! :thumbup:

You could still play outside with your big girl and the new-baby in between pump sessions. And just bring a bottle of breast milk with you if the baby gets hungry. Or your big girl might just have to stay in until your husband gets home then he can take her. In any case you CAN do it. But if its becoming to stressful there is no harm in giving formula. I know a ton of women do it and their babies are just fine. There is no reason to feel any guilt about it. If your stressed out that is going to do more harm then giving a baby formula. Good luck you're doing great :hugs:

I'm struggling with this at the moment too. It was much easier to exclusively pump for my first child, but much harder this go around. I'm much more tired, have less time for myself to catch up on rest and other chores... And most importantly I feel like I don't have enough time to entertain my older son because I'm attached to the pump. I'm finding that he's watching more TV and sometimes getting into mischief because he's bored or waiting on mommy to finish pumping.

I made it 6 months exclusively pumping for DS1 and really would like to do the same for DS2, but it's getting harder as the days go by. My husband would really like me to quit because I complain a lot about it, and I'd quit if I didn't feel so guilty! I have to remind myself of all the benefits on a daily basis and even that's getting old!

I'm struggling with this at the moment too. It was much easier to exclusively pump for my first child, but much harder this go around. I'm much more tired, have less time for myself to catch up on rest and other chores... And most importantly I feel like I don't have enough time to entertain my older son because I'm attached to the pump. I'm finding that he's watching more TV and sometimes getting into mischief because he's bored or waiting on mommy to finish pumping.

I made it 6 months exclusively pumping for DS1 and really would like to do the same for DS2, but it's getting harder as the days go by. My husband would really like me to quit because I complain a lot about it, and I'd quit if I didn't feel so guilty! I have to remind myself of all the benefits on a daily basis and even that's getting old!

Yup still struggling here. My OH is telling me to give up too cos again I complain about it. I find night feeds hard cos your up for at least an hour with the feed and pump and my big girl gets up at 6am so I can never catch up on the lost sleep *sigh* I know I won't make it to 6 months, or anywhere near but I'm still plodding on so far..!! X

Hi everyone, I've been exclusively expressing for nearly 6 weeks now for my little man but in the last 10 days or so I've been finding it even more uncomfortable than usual. I always hate the tugging feeling on my nipples, but now they're turning a dark purple when I use the pump, even on the lowest setting. I'm using a Medela Symphony. I've tried hand expressing but I get next to nothing whereas with the pump I get an average of 760mls/day.

Also for anyone who reads who had a micro preemie, when did they start to take proper volumes from you? My son is 35 weeks gestational tomorrow (but still small at 3lb on the nose) and has been taking 2-6mls each time I try him at the breast for 2 weeks, but he doesn't seem to be increasing what he takes, but then again he's only properly latched during one session. I expressed for DD for 10 weeks but my supply was less than I'm getting with my son, and I had to stop suddenly due to medication changes, so transitioning to the breast is new to me.

Hi ladies how is everyone doing? I can't believe I've made it to almost 11 months! I'm actually going to make it to my 12 month goal! I didn't think it was possible but I'm almost there! :happydance:

Anyways we are going to Disney in three weeks, which will be a 3 hour plane ride for us. What did u ladies do while traveling with the breast milk and your pump? Looking for any tips or advice you may have to offer!:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->