TW - (Traditional Weaning) Support Thread

When I started I just went onto puree and didn't use rice but I can imagine they are similar in consistencies / textures. To puree you usually boil / steam the chosen veg and then pop it in a small blender, big ones are no good, don't mush it all up well enough. To freeze you pop the puree into an ice tray (or small storage tub) and then for the ice cube tray, I used to pop that into a freezer bag, which also helped as I could write what was in it (amazing how confusing lots of different oranges blobs can be!) and when i made it. :flower: I'm not 100% with BLW at four month but you find that TW is a mixture of both, you puree up food and offer on a spoon but you also offer finger foods as well. This is what I did with my LO (as when she was ready she started to take food from my plate) so she does really well with lumps etc now and I didn't have to phase her through it all if that makes any sense! :flower:

good morning nmwb. Thanks for your reply. I am swapping round this morning, he has just had a breast feed bout 20 mins ago so i am gonna try him on some rice shortly. Is mashing better than pureeing then? Like i said i always thought i would do baby led so didn't think i would be pureeing anything, but am not sure with him only being 4 months not 6. Is it unsafe to start with finger foods just now? He can sit up with very well with little support and the strength he has in his neck is amazing. Dont really wanna go thru puree, then mash, then lumps and so on..... hope i'm making sense! xxx

Hmm I popped a post in and its gone, sorry if I end up double posting!

I didn't give my LO baby rice but I can imagine the consistency /texture is similar to puree. (My LO used to have baby porridge as she didn't want solids until later on). To puree you just boil or steam the chosen vegetable and then pop it in a small blender, big ones are no good as they don't puree, the food is more lumpy. In regards to finger foods, TW is very much a mix of spoon/puree feeding and finger foods. I offered my LO both and so haven't had a problem with lumps etc. I'm not sure how early you could start offering finger foods but I just started when my LO started to help herself to my own food! I didn't then have to do any transition through from puree, to mash, to lumps etc. Storage wise you can use tiny tuppaware pots or if using a ice cube tray, I used to pop it in a freezer bag and tie the ends, it was handy as I could also write what was in there (amazing how lots of different orange blobs can be confusing!) and also the date I made things. Hope some of that helps! :flower:

good morning nmwb. Thanks for your reply. I am swapping round this morning, he has just had a breast feed bout 20 mins ago so i am gonna try him on some rice shortly. Is mashing better than pureeing then? Like i said i always thought i would do baby led so didn't think i would be pureeing anything, but am not sure with him only being 4 months not 6. Is it unsafe to start with finger foods just now? He can sit up with very well with little support and the strength he has in his neck is amazing. Dont really wanna go thru puree, then mash, then lumps and so on..... hope i'm making sense! xxx

Hmm I popped a post in and its gone, sorry if I end up double posting!

I didn't give my LO baby rice but I can imagine the consistency /texture is similar to puree. (My LO used to have baby porridge as she didn't want solids until later on). To puree you just boil or steam the chosen vegetable and then pop it in a small blender, big ones are no good as they don't puree, the food is more lumpy. In regards to finger foods, TW is very much a mix of spoon/puree feeding and finger foods. I offered my LO both and so haven't had a problem with lumps etc. I'm not sure how early you could start offering finger foods but I just started when my LO started to help herself to my own food! I didn't then have to do any transition through from puree, to mash, to lumps etc. Storage wise you can use tiny tuppaware pots or if using a ice cube tray, I used to pop it in a freezer bag and tie the ends, it was handy as I could also write what was in there (amazing how lots of different orange blobs can be confusing!) and also the date I made things. Hope some of that helps! :flower:

Thanks hun - yes that did really help. i have been and got loads of different fruit and veg today so gonna puree some tommorrow, now i have a clue what i'm doing! I'm thinking he might be ok with lumps, he has been having mashed banana but only mashed with a fork, so still had couple of lumps. He messed with it in his mouth for a bit, swallowed, then opened it for more!! Plus my friends mum cooked a sunday dinner today, masked up a bit of potato, broccoli, carrots and he enjoyed it and it wasn't as smooth as puree. I'll see what happens tomorrow.
Am so glad finger foods can be part of this too, might try him wih some caulliflower florets too :) its so exciting!!
Cannot beleieve how much how much he loves it!

It's still early for finger food hun. You can mash soft fruits like bananas, mangoes & peaches if you dont want to puree as they have very soft texture, the same with boiled butternut squash, sweet potatoes. potatoes & carrots. You can wait until he's 5-5.5 months then start offering him some soft veggies & fruits as finger food. You can also prepare his porrdge/baby rice a bit thicker after few days & see how he takes it. HTH xx

Hi everyone,
I was just wondering when you introduced stage 2 jars? (If you fed from jars)
DD sometimes chews her stage 1 jars so she knows about chewing - in theory!
Also, do I introduce finger foods as an extra to her meals? (She is now having 3 meals a day and about 35-40oz milk per day) And do I give finger foods after her food, before her food or inbetween meals???
Thanks

Hi everyone,
I was just wondering when you introduced stage 2 jars? (If you fed from jars)
DD sometimes chews her stage 1 jars so she knows about chewing - in theory!
Also, do I introduce finger foods as an extra to her meals? (She is now having 3 meals a day and about 35-40oz milk per day) And do I give finger foods after her food, before her food or inbetween meals???
Thanks

Hi hun, 6+ should be fine as some stage 2 jars have gluten & meat in them & those should not be introduced before 6 months. You can introduce finger food at anytime, as a snack or main meal. It depends on the appetite of your Lo & how much solids she can handle with her milk feeds. xx

Here is jayden tonight, i have been puree'ing some but i had a few organix jars in, this one is carrot + sweet potato.
https://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs034.snc6/166431_1782850651838_1256617253_2011600_3550952_n.jpg
He looks quite little on that, he is 5months tomorrow and tonight he sat up by his-self for 19seconds!!!
He did get abit messy with it, on the upside he is barely throwing up milk in the past couple of days, also he has gone from having 70oz a day to 36-40oz

I still have no idea what to give Amelia for lunch and what time to give it to her currently she has breakfast at 10 and then milk at 12:30 milk at 4:30 then dinner at 5:45, can anyone help? :flower:

I still have no idea what to give Amelia for lunch and what time to give it to her currently she has breakfast at 10 and then milk at 12:30 milk at 4:30 then dinner at 5:45, can anyone help? :flower:

How about scrambled eggs, a sandwich (cheese, homous or any low salt spread), some fruits or yoghurt?

I've been giving Clara cereal at every meal (she just started getting 3 meals a day a couple weeks ago) plus a fruit with breakfast and a veg with lunch and dinner. I've noticed that alot of you don't do cereal at every meal. How often should I give it to her (she eats rice, oat and barley). Also, how much do you give each time (Clara's almost 6 months but has been on solids since 4 months). This is what I usually do, but now I'm wondering if it's not enough:

B - 1.5 tbsp cereal, 1 tbsp fruit
L - 2 tbsp cereal, 1 tbsp veg
D - 2.5 tbsp cereal, 1.5 tbsp veg

Sometimes I think she'd eat more, but I always nurse afterwards too (and sometimes right before). She also nurses lots in between feedings. It seems she's always cluster feeding! I don't want solids to stop her from nursing enough as she needs all of the calories she can get - she's a slow weight gainer but a fast grower. Between 4-5 months she grew 4cm but only gained 17oz! Also, her cereal is usually made with bm, though occasionally I have to use some water if I can't/haven't expressed enough.

Sorry if this post was kinda rambly.

Jayden has been on solids for around 2 weeks now, he is doing brilliantly, he has reduced his milk from 50-70oz in 24hours to 30-40oz in 24hours.
Today he had:
2:00am - 6oz
6:30am - 6oz
9:00am - 6oz
11:30am - blended blueberries mixed with 1spoon of organix rice, a few sips of water.
1:30pm - 6oz
4pm - 6oz and he had a taste of blended parsnips but he wasn't keen at all!
6:30pm - 6oz

Gabriel has been on solids for about month and a half.
9am 7oz
12pm 4oz fruit
3pm 7oz
6pm 4oz veggie
9pm 7oz
4am 7oz

He also gets little cut up cooked veggies or fruit at meal times as finger foods, and little fillers in between.
I just let him eat. He loves the spoon and already has a great pincer grasp.

Hi Everyone,

I need some advice.

We have been weaning since 17 weeks and been on 3 meals a day for some time now. However, he used to have the following:

7.00am milk - 7oz
9.30am breakfast
11.15am milk- 7oz
1.00pm lunch
3.15pm milk - 7oz
5.00pm dinner
6.30pm / 7.00pm milk - 7oz

However, he is all over the place with milk. He has the morning bottle but sometimes wont have the late morning one or sometimes takes less. The same with the late afternoon one. Now he refuses his night bottle (even if he has had little milk the rest of the day).

I cant get into a routine which is constant and am now worried. Today he has had about 19oz all day!

Maybe he doesn't need/want them bottles hun as long as he's getting at least 16-18oz milk a day plus solids it's fine :) Amelia was like this, think it was her letting us know that she didn't want the middle bottles anymore, she now has a 9oz in the morning and 9oz before bed :flower:

Thanks

I want him to defo have the morning and night one but he even refuses the night one.

Should I bring his dinner forward?

What I would do is move the breakfast forward slightly to maybe 8:30/9 and move lunch forward to 12/12:30 and try dropping the 11:15 milk first xx

What I would do is move the breakfast forward slightly to maybe 8:30/9 and move lunch forward to 12/12:30 and try dropping the 11:15 milk first xx

I will try.

We have been going back and forth as every day he wants a new routine!

Hi there

We have been giving pear 2x daily since LO was 6 weeks as thats how she takes her Losec, she only got a baby spoon full.
Recently we have upped that a little to a couple of teaspoons and I have been mixing in a little prune juice (she gets awfully constipated) and rice cereal to thicken it back up.

For a number of days she seemed to really enjoy it, she was taking a reasonable amount, opening her mouth like a little baby bird and waving her feet about in excitement.

Over easter we had a set back as her reflux flared up badly due to me only having generic omeprazol not Losec for her, she went off her food (all food, incl milk)

She taking her milk better now (back up to 20-24oz a day rather than 10-12oz) but shes still really disinterested in her puree. She has to take a small amount for the Losec, we put just enough on the spoon to hold the granules then pop it into her mouth when she opens it to laugh/smile/grizzle. Its not ideal but she HAS to have the meds.

Any idea for making puree time fun again?
I was thinking of doing them at a non-Losec time, so may be mid morning? She doesn't have the extrusion reflux anymore, and on a good day can easily eat a couple of table spoons, she is able to move the puree from the front to the back of her mouth easily.

I was going to wait and do BLW, but her Paed wants her to start some light sweet fruit and/or veg purees now to help her oral aversion issues (she can get very upset if she doesn't want the bottle etc)

Sorry thats so long!

Farie, I would just start trying different foods since she's 4 months now and she needs to have solids to take her meds. We started weaning at just over 4 months on the pediatrician's advice as well and Clara took to all foods quite well. Butternut squash and sweet potato were two of the first veg she ate. I make her food so it was thicker than the strained jars. At 6 months I also started offering her finger foods and we now do a combination of tw and blw. I hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->