The ins and outs of exclusively expressing

Just wanted to update that even after my despairing posts above, I made it to a year! I never quite reovered my supply, 14oz was the most I ever got in one day after I had tonsillitis, but I managed to get my broken pump exchanged for a medela swing maxi, which was much kinder on my poor old nips than the lansinoh 2-in-1 was (Mothercare were fantastic about the exchange, no trouble at all!), and I managed to muddle through using the manual and the medela. It actually got easier after I went back to work when DD was 10 months, as I then had proper breaks in the day to pump.

Anyway, I started winding my supply down just before her birthday, and apart from a small session with the hand pump to clear a bit of a blocked duct, I haven't pumped in about 2 weeks...DD is 13 months old on Sunday, and had her last bottle of ebm 2 weeks ago.

Can't believe I managed it...ok, it wasn't 'exclusive' pumping as I had to give formula, but it was more than I ever thought I'd be able to do after it became clear that bf wasn't going to work.

For #2, whenever in the future that happens, I know so much more and will be doing my utmost to make bf work...I will be asking to see the bf advisor/LC at the hospital to have LO checked for tongue tie, and am hoping to be able to ebf.

Congrats! I pumped for DD for 14 months, and I also had to supplement with some formula due to a lower supply. I agree - I am going to try my hardest to make bf work for #2. We are hoping to have another one soon, and I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to pump while caring for a newborn and a toddler.

lucylu - If you are able to get the baby latched, I think you will ultimately be happier in the long run if you stick it out and continue to BF directly. If you do want to switch to pumping, a hospital grade pump and a consistent pump shedule (every 2-3 hours around the clock) should help with your supply.

Thanks to all the replies and comments ladies!

I have since fed lo another 3 times on the boob very successfully, almost like the pump has toughened my nipples up for me!

Obviously I need to increase the feeds as during the night he drank 3 bottles so i'm going to have to make a decision as to what to do moving forward. I'm more than happy to supplement with formula, he only likes premade so a little more expensive but if I can up my nursing then its doable.

I would prefer to give ebm but I don't think I can nurse and pump enough for the night feeds (?) just to speed things up a bit!

Thanks again x

Hi. I still have a long way to go, but I am thinking about my bf or ff choices very hard. With nr 1, myilk never came in. I took pills fr increased production & LO has always fed little, gained little weight & always has been a lightweight. He was born a month early. On top of that, increased fluid retention causes me problems with vertigo as diagnosed with Menieres Disease. So, is it possible to express 3/4 times daily. I will combine feed with formula. Baby will only know bottle as I don't want confusion. I will resume work at 5 months. Do you think it's a good idea?

Hi is there anyone out there that is currently exclusively pumping? (Or previously) I have a twelve week old that will not bf. He was born three weeks early and given the bottle at one day old. Our bf relationship has never been 100%. I feel conflicted about it at times but I am glad I have been able to pump this long for him.

I'm mostly looking for people to talk to on information on what worked for you. I haven't been able to find much information on exclusively pumping besides a few websites. I feel as though its more common then people realize.

Currently I have been pumping five times a day and have been supplying him enough milk and I also freeze some. During the day he can eat about 4 ounces every two hours! There is not really any guidelines on how much to give him and his pediatrician says its great!! He is sleeping better at night now too!

Hi is there anyone out there that is currently exclusively pumping? (Or previously) I have a twelve week old that will not bf. He was born three weeks early and given the bottle at one day old. Our bf relationship has never been 100%. I feel conflicted about it at times but I am glad I have been able to pump this long for him.

I'm mostly looking for people to talk to on information on what worked for you. I haven't been able to find much information on exclusively pumping besides a few websites. I feel as though its more common then people realize.

Currently I have been pumping times a day and have been supplying him enough milk and I also freeze some. During the day he can eat about 4 ounces every two hours! There is not really any guidelines on how much to give him and his pediatrician says its great!! He is sleeping better at night now too!

I found this page to help a lot when I was pumping around the clock. https://kellymom.com/category/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/

4oz/120ml is what I gave DS for each feed, though I upped his bedtime feed a small amount at about 4 months. At 12 weeks he had up to 8-9 feeds a day. My pumping amount was at it's prime, and I was well ahead of him, actually had over 100 feeds in the freezer, and 4 days worth in the fridge (had almost no space for food!) up until he started weaning at 5 months.

Sounds like you're doing great. Completely understand how conflicted you feel. In the year I pumped for I wanted to give up on more than one occasion. Only way to think of it is to think that it's the best of both worlds. Plenty of breastmilk goodness, and the freedom for others to help when it comes to feeds :)

Hi Ladies I've just found this thread!

I was desperate to breast feed my second child after BF'ing didn't work out with my son after two weeks. Unfortunately I've had the same problems getting my daughter to latch. So I'm pumping and supplementing with formula.

I'm 16 days in and pumping six times a day for 20 mins each session. It's exhausting :(. In the last 24 hours ive started to be in real discomfort on my right side. I've googled it and turned the pumping intensity right down but it's so sore. I was getting 40-50 ml per pump which was great as I could give my daughter 50% of her feeds as breast milk but the last day I've had to lower the intensity and I'm getting about 15 ml per pump now.

What should I do? I don't want my supply to dwindle but I literally cannot take the agony of pumping more or doing it more intensely

Please help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->