Heating and energy saving tips. Share yours!

Mines been on and off the past few weeks. Sometimes its too hot so I have to turn it off but my goodness sometimes its cold.

im freezing tonight! meant to be having really bad weather this coming week.

yaaaay :(

We only have horrible gas convection heaters - there are 3 in the house, 1 downstairs and 2 upstairs (one in each bedroom). We have a nightmare keeping the house warm and getting clothes dry. We rent so we can't do things to the house to help save us money. My mum is sorting us a curtain for the front door and one for the back door.

im really getting pissed off.

Our house is freezing, like very very cold! we have a breeze coming from under every windersil!! our front door has no post cover thing on, and theres a huge gap at the bottom to let air in!!

i have emailed the landlord 10x and still.. nothing! its so cold in the bedrooms!!

what can id o to warm us up? we use dressing gowns ect but still soo cold!

im really getting pissed off.

Our house is freezing, like very very cold! we have a breeze coming from under every windersil!! our front door has no post cover thing on, and theres a huge gap at the bottom to let air in!!

i have emailed the landlord 10x and still.. nothing! its so cold in the bedrooms!!

what can id o to warm us up? we use dressing gowns ect but still soo cold!

Put a draught excluder at the bottom of the door for a start.

You can buy some nice ones now or you can make one of your own. Even if you just fold up a blanket for now it will help.

Once your post has been you could cover the letter box, as long as you remember to uncover it the next day. Even if you tape a bit of cardboard over as a makeshift flap it might help. Just put the tape at the top and not the bottom.

Do you have an agent working between you and the landlord or do you deal directly with him? Keep nagging and calling and emailing and keep copies of everything. He has a duty of care so you could even go to CAB and get some advice.

If the window sills are ill fitting you might find some sort of sealant that you could use to fill in the gaps, especially if it's under the sill rather than on the frame. I think I've seen them in Poundland even.

Everyone who's starting to put the heating on should really think about getting a carbon monoxide detector if they haven't already.

Not sure if they have this over tehre, but here you can get this plastic wrap stuff to put over your windows (on the inside) that keeps the heat in and prevents drafts.

https://www.creativehomeowner.com/index.php?pane=project&projectid=chwin232

.... I'm thinking of doing it this winter, because there's an awful draft from our bay window in the living room. it's covered by curtains anyway and I usually leave them closed for privacy, so it's not visible on the outside and won't be offensive on the inside either. Aside from that, we keep the furnace set a couple of degrees lower and wear sweaters/socks/slippers/etc in the house.

Rather than using the big oven I'd often cook in the toaster oven if possible, since mine had a broiler setting and it uses way less energy (it's since bit the dust lol but it saved so much money!!)

We switched to HE washer & dryers which made a big difference too.

On the beds, when it's cold I keep the mattress cover, fitted sheet, flat sheet, a blanket, then the comforter on top so we have layers and can use as many/as little as needed. I put an older rolled up blanket (as in doesn't match my living room to use as a throw) along the door to prevent a draft...

We use HE lightbulbs and have flourescent lights in the kitchen and basement. I turn off power bars and leave lights off as much as possible, etc.

Wilkinson's are currently selling draft excluders for £1.50! Bargain!

We have a carbon monoxide detector. Put heating on for first time yesterday

Average is around 18 degrees, but some people (like me) prefer it warmer at 20.

We bought 2 blankets to have for when were on sofas, there so thick and lovely material and keep you lovely and warm. Weve turned heating off again as we dont need it with the blankets. Only £10 from ebay so well worth the money

We have our heating on a timer so it goes on for a bit at night and then a bit in the morning. The council replaced our windows so more heat stays in :thumbup: We also keep the doors closed. I turn off the radiator in rooms we aren't in during the day. Our electric is high anyways because DH works from home, but I try to keep lights off during the day and at night, I put them on only in the rooms I'm in.

I think some of my radiators need bleeding... read the previous post on this thread, my question is does water shoot out or just trickle downwards :blush:

our front door is terrible, it has a gap down the side of the door (the side it opens) the hall is always FREEZING and to make it worse our daughter door is poorly fitted and has a big gap to the floor which makes her room freezing!

so now im thinking tht i should get her a draught excluder and when i shut her door at night put it there?

i cant do nothing about the door as we private rent and our landlord is rubbish!!!
xx

You should keep on at your landlord to get it sorted, or at least get the foam strips to go along the gap?

I found a large gap in the bathroom window and expressed my concerns about how cold it felt and the cming winter. The window has been replaced within week and he replaced the window next to it aswell! :D

those foam strips for doors work fab. i double layer them. i blocked up the vent in the front room with masking tape so not to ruin the walls but it blew off with the high winds on sunday. :dohh:

anyone got any tips for how to stop draughts/wind coming down the chimmney. we have 2 gas fires but never used them as its too expensive

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->