Heating and energy saving tips. Share yours!

Arcanegirl

Bazinga!!
Reaction score
Its that time of year and once again energy prices are rising.

Theres been a few threads on how to keep your house warm, how to save energy, drying clothes the most cost effective way etc so I thought it would be a good idea to put all these tips into one place where everyone can find it. Especially during what will probably be another very cold winter in the UK.

So, share your tips :D

At present we are house rennovating a old (1800's) big house, its our home and we are living in it and so we can only so so much at a time and of course, money isnt endless.

Most of the improvements have centred around energy efficency.

So we have replaced several of the windows and front door. We used Eneregy efficent windows which have a gas between the layers of glass. It has made a HUGE different. We did the whole side of the house, including buidling work as we had single glazed large windows, they have now been replaced and the heat in the room is much much better, plus there is no noise.

The Hallway was always very cold and now is cosy! Today infact we are having more windows done, the windows we are replacing ARE docuble glazed but they are still drafty and noisy, these new windows are so much bettet at keeping noise out and heat in.

So if you can afford it, replacing windows is a great way to improve your energy effeicency, many comapies will take pictures of your house before and after to show the difference of heat loss (with a special camera).

Anyway, not everyone can afford that, I suggest everyone goes around all their windows and checks the seals and around the windows. in our previous house the widows had been replaced 6 months before we bought it, so were nice and new, but they clearly hasnt sealed around the windows very well. We checked around them all and re-sealed them, it made a huge difference to our bill (we were on oil then so it was even more excpensive). Little gaps and drafts make a HUGE impact on heat loss in your house so def check windows as they are such a big cause of heat loss.

If your door is drafty then get a draft excluder, any drafts in your house should be looked at and solved, many of the ways are cheap and so so effective.

Loft insulation is a good idea. We had ours done recently, was cheap. Free for those on a certain income or below.

When we moved in here all the windows had blinds only, I managed to convince OH we should get curtains and they do make quite a difference to heat loss on cold evenings and nights.

Make sure radiators are bled regularly or you'll be running your heating for no benefit.

Insulate the hot water tank.

Defo agree with draught excluders!

Other things you can do;

As we have an old house the walls get lots of condenstation, cold, damp etc, we consulted with loads of people and discovered insulated plasterboard. Several of our walls have been done now, its very thick, so that will impact if your room isnt big enough as it does eat into it. Plus its expensive, foam back is the best that can be anywhere from £30 - £80 a sheet!

BUT, it again makes a dig difference, we have done three bedrooms in it, touching the walls is warm, we have no damp or condenstation problems, the rooms are so much warmer as there is nothing/less lost though the wall. I dont know if this method works so well on cavity walls which are much better insulated anyway, but it def works very well on solid stone walls.

Less expensive ways would be to keep doors open when your asleep (you breath out a huge amount of mosture) and close doors during the day esp when cooking.

Replace Radiators with double panel, double fin ones, they give out MUCH better heat.

Dont block radiators, even those wood things you buy really affect how much heat they give out. Yes they may not look fantastic, but blocking them in anyway really blocks the heat (my hubby is a gas engineer). So make sure they are free from sofas etc and where budget allows replace them with double panel double fin.

Also dont get fooled by these "designer" raditors, they look better but the majority give out very little heat. We looked at some and it was shocking how little heat they give out compared to a "normal" one.

Solar heating - We have solar heating panels for our hot water, and as we dont put our boiler on in the summer for heating, he hardly used our boiler, Its great, it stores hot water and we always seem to have a supply of hot water, if you have a few baths in a day you will need to "top up" with boiler heated water, but for the most part its fantastic. It would take a long time to make your money back, but its great being able to run a bath and know you have just used the solar power for it.

AGAs/wood burning stoves - in winter we use our rayburn (which is the same as an aga) for heat (we have SO much wood to burn it really is free heat) and we are getting a wood burning stove, possibly using that to heat radiotors in basement or hot water. Again they give out fantastic heat, you can calculate how many KWs your room will need.

Cavity Wall and Loft insulation - Make huge differences, the amount of loft insulation needed has recently increased so even if you have had it done you may find you actually now need more. Many comapanies do that for free, i know Brirtish Gas used to other it to their duel fuel customers, not sure if they still do, and many places do it for OAPs etc. So check that oit before paying.

Rooms we have done we have put down real wood flooring, real wood is warmer than laminate, and it blocks all drafts. We like flooring as with kids and pets it can get cleaned easier, carpet def feels warmer but if your house is drafty make sure all drafts are blocked before laying it.

Of course replacing boilers is a big one, most older boilers are less than 75% effeicent and ones with poilt lights less than 65% whereas new ones are 90 - 92 %. So thats 35p in every £1 your heating outside through flue.

Personally im tempted by the new baxi eco-gen boiler which also generates electricity!!! Not 100% sure on the ins and outs and very few people have them presently (OH is a gas engineer), he wants to wait until they have been our awhile and see how well they actually work and that all the "bugs" are ironed out! They are mega expensive, like £8000 for the boiler alone.

Wear thick socks, wear layers (this really helps)

Rugs for winter on laminate

duvets on sofa

make sure everyone has long dressing gown

One thing weve done so far is read the boiler manual properly, if you dont have one find out the maker and model and request one.
We had to request one for the new place weve just moved into and im glad ive got it now. The heat and hot water are set on timers rather than on for 12 hours all day everyday and ive learned about an eco function on the boiler aswell to help save money.

Check the seals on your windows.
This is something were in the process of doing right now, checking all the seals are in the windows properly and making sure theres no drafts coming from where they shouldnt.

I would love a rayburn... they are bloody fantastic!

I would love a rayburn... they are bloody fantastic!

i dont think were keeping ours, :blush:, hense the stove, i cant figure it out at all lol, i cant keep it heated (as it takes much more work than a stove) and its just big and annoying lol!

Id always wanted one, and its possibly as this one is really old, if it was more modern id maybe be more impressed. But it provides loads of heat when OH is round to keep it stocked up hehe, its really lovely and toasty.

Bleeding radiators, something i know should be done for the radiators to heat fully, but how do you know if they need done and how do you do it?

Bleeding radiators, something i know should be done for the radiators to heat fully, but how do you know if they need done and how do you do it?

If the top of the radiator is cold compared to the bottom, this is the main sign that it needs bleeding. Check each radiator individually - one of mine needs doing once a month in winter! One of the top corners will have a bleed point where you can fit a radiator key, sometimes you can use a screwdriver on it, and the hole for the air/water to come out may be visible. When the radiator is cold, open the bleed point, the air will hiss out - once a little water comes out (be prepared to catch it), tighten it back up.

There's a thing in Thursdays Daily Mirror that advises you how to keep your house warmer and cut your heating bills.

This man advised the woman on things she could do, the whole cost came to £101 but it worked out it would save her a lot more than that. He sells all these things in his shop (called Eco Store).

The tips he gave were:

1. Letterbox - you can lose 27% of your heat through the letter box. Even those with brushes or flaps on the back, as they can get stuck open or aren't tight enough. You can fit an ecoflap, which costs £19.99, to the inside. It will block winds of up to 100mph but is still light enough to allow the post to come through easily.

Also use key hole covers.

2. Use a candle to locate sources of draughts by shutting windows and doors and walking around with the candle. When it flickers you have found a draught. Use a tea light to get close to the floor. Block the drafts with appropriate sealants and fillers.

3. You can buy a Radiator Booster for £19.99. It plugs in and costs 30p per year to run! But it uses a fan to blow heat back into the room rather than having it be absorbed into the wall or rise up behind curtains and be lost through the window panes etc. He claims it will save between £70 and £140 in a year.

4. Fit insulated reflector panels behind the radiators. He recommends Radflex Radiator Reflector panels that cost £13.22 for three sheets, which should cover six radiators. He says that 40% of your heat is wasted by being absorbed into the wall behind the radiator. The panels reflect 95% of that lost heat back into the room.

I tried to get some of these today in B&Q but they only had their own version, at £7.00, but which has to be glued to the wall with a solvent. The Radflex ones hang from a rod that hooks onto your radiator fixings, so sounds a lot easier to fit. Otherwise you could stick tinfoil to thin cardboard and slide it down the back of the radiators.

5. Double glazing halves the 10% of heat lost from single glazed windows, but you can get a film that you stick to single glazed windows if you can't get double glazing. It costs £10.52 for six square metres and you fit it with a tape and then blow it with a hairdryer to get out any creases.

6. Instead of normal draught excluders you can buy one that fits onto the bottom of the door, so you can open and close the door and not worry about forgetting to put the excluder back. He sells them for £9.95 in black or white, or B&Q had some for £10 in brown. I bought two today and they do seem to be working.

7. Wooden floorboards can be draughty and you can loose 15% of your heat from them. He says it's like leaving your window open permanently, summer and winter. You can get a floorboard gap seal for £23.99 per roll and it just tucks into the gaps. You can't see it once it's in and it seals any places where draughts can get in or heat can be lost.

These are the little things that I do to help.

1. Put on cardigans and jumpers before deciding to turn on the heating.

2. Have lots of warm drinks.

3. Shut the curtains on all the windows as soon as it starts to get dark.

4. Also check your loft insulation is thick enough (and if you are a British Gas customer you can apply (quickly) for free loft and cavity wall insulations or to be part of their rent a roof scheme, where they install solar panels for you and you get free electricity during the day and pay for what you use at night. We are looking into the rent a roof scheme now.

5. Don't have curtains or furniture blocking radiators, so I would say if you have long ones, as we do, to also fit blinds so you can close the blinds and keep the curtains open while the heating is on.

6. Get proper winter duvets and quilts for beds. Hot water bottles are good, especially if one of you is always colder than the other.

7. Keep all doors closed and if someone comes to the door close your interior doors before you open the front one. Invite people you know to come straight in or step out and shut the door (don't get locked out though).

8. Curtains at external doors can help stop draughts too.

9. And it's nice to snuggle under warm blankets while you watch TV.

10. Oh and don't dry clothes on your radiators or block them by putting a clothes horse directly in front, it can make them as expensive as a tumble drier because they just take all the heat and stop it getting into the room so you have them on longer and turn the heating up more. Don't block them with furniture either.

11. I've bought some of those sealing strips for the door frames. I think I got 10 metres of brown sealing strip for £2.00 in Lidl. You usually see them on exterior door frames but they work just as well on interior door frames to stop internal draughts.

NEver used a tumble dryer, always a clothes horse even in winter, if they really arnt drying quick enough I get a low wattage heater 400w-800w to put near it. we only use night time cheaper rate immersion heater and make the hot water last all day. Only take showers, never have baths, they are like bathing in your own muck anyway. Have storage heating on lowest setting until at least November, and wear jumpers or hoodies in the cooler evenings. dont fill the kettle right up when making a cup of tea, or if you've boiled too much water, use it for washing up or put in a flask for another drink. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->