BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

oh my goodness lisa... ffion had bbqd courgette today tooooooo!!!!

she LOVED it!

Glad it's going well Kat. I'd go for trying him with sloppier foods! It's a lot of fun and in my experience they get really excited about it all :)

Our most interesting news to report is that a while ago Alasdair had a reaction to strawberries (first time he'd had them) and I was advised not to give them to him for a couple of months. I had a go at giving him them again on Saturday and he wouldn't put them in his mouth. He talked to them, he picked them up but they were not food to him. I'm not going to force him to try them again, he probably knows best and he eats plenty of other fruit and veg!

I gave him a mushed up rusk today - he loved it! Will try him with some other stuff, now I know he can handle it. Any suggestions?

spag bol maybe? or I sometimes make my version of carbonara for Alasdair. I make a cheese sauce (flour, butter, milk, cheese) and put it with fusilli pasta and add whatever vege I have in. Try him with cereal! it's messy but Ally loves it and it makes a nice change from toast for brekkie. Alasdair has had cheerios (obviously not the honey kind!), rice crispies and branflakes. He's liked all of them. I usually add some fruit to make it a little more exciting.

ffion loves cheerios and sandwiches for her breakfast lol

It was so lovely today - I met a friend to have lunch in the park. While I was having my food, I occupied Oliver with a few pieces of apple. Not only did it mean I had peace while I ate, but my frined was gobsmacked!!!
Another quick question though - do your LO have a milk straight after? Oliver seems to go as long as he wants to then, all of a sudden he's had enough. He starts crying, holding his arms out to me (he's started doing this now, when he's had enough of something and wants rescuing!!) and demanding milk. Is it good to make a habit of BF straight after every single solid feed? Or will he grow to expect them both and not have one without the other?
Perhaps I'm reading to much into this and it's far to early to be worried about this sort of thing.

I just go with the flow on that one. She used to demand mimi after her tea but she's wanting it less and less now :( In fact I'm hanging back on introducing a lunchtime 'meal' for this reason.

I just go with the flow on that one. She used to demand mimi after her tea but she's wanting it less and less now :( In fact I'm hanging back on introducing a lunchtime 'meal' for this reason.

Thanks hun, where did you get your BF cheerleader from? I want one!!

I nicked the pic and added the text - feel free to crib her honey! x

sounds like everyones LO's are doing great!

started making my own purees this week and so far so good!

does anyone else find their LO prefers finger food to their purees? i'm trying to do blw and still give her some purees but not sure how I should be doing it?

in the morning she has some baby porridge and toast soldiers and then veg puree and a rusk for lunch and she always gets a rusk or steamed stick of veg to munch/play with when we have our dinner.

is this ok or should I be sticking to finger food only or purees only?:dohh:

For proper blw you dont use purees but I'm doing a bit of both - you can do what you like!

I give porridge for breakie then a rusk or banana for her to eat herself. I let her sppon the porridge if she wants to. No lunch yet but if I have anything on my plate suitable (tomatoes, cucumber etc) then I'll let her have it any time of day really. Tea is pureed veg but I'm going with they lumpy stuff now, again she spoons, and then she has some veg from out tea or whatever. We had curry the other night so she had chappatis.

Do it how you like hun. :D

in the beginning I did both. Or tried to do both (Alasdair is a very independent little boy and wanted to feed himself from the start!) But I gradually phased the (me) spoon feeding out completely. I did give him yogurts up until 7.5 months but then he wouldn't take them from me anymore. So we became 100% BLW at 8 monthsish. I think if I'd been more confident I would have just done BLW from the start as it would have saved a lot of anxiety on my part and would have made meal times a lot easier!

I meant to say earlier that I weighed Alasdair on tuesday and I'm so glad that he has stayed on his percentile line - 22lbs now! So the 100% self feeding hasn't affected him at all :)

in the beginning I did both. Or tried to do both (Alasdair is a very independent little boy and wanted to feed himself from the start!) But I gradually phased the (me) spoon feeding out completely. I did give him yogurts up until 7.5 months but then he wouldn't take them from me anymore. So we became 100% BLW at 8 monthsish. I think if I'd been more confident I would have just done BLW from the start as it would have saved a lot of anxiety on my part and would have made meal times a lot easier!

I meant to say earlier that I weighed Alasdair on tuesday and I'm so glad that he has stayed on his percentile line - 22lbs now! So the 100% self feeding hasn't affected him at all :)

Thats really good to know! I'm a bit worried as we are 100% BLW, with no purees at all. I hope I cna keep my nerve and stick with it! I'm really struggling with what to feed him at the moment. He seems to already expect food himself when he sees us eat now. I'm finding it's all going so quickly! Admittedly, he still isn't eating much, but he definitely knows what food is and is expecting to be able to play with it every meal time!!!:dohh:

Hi all, Alfies 5 months tomorrow but he's started grabbing at my food, i was wondering should i just let him grab it and do what he wants or should i wait a little longer do you think??? He put his hand right in my rissotto yesterday :rofl:

We sat Hebe with us at meal times from wheh she was ok in the bumbo. She just watched at first but then she started grabing and showing interesting what we were doing - I dont think she wanted to eat it especially but she wanted to join in. so we started putting a few things on a plate and let her play with them and that was about the same age as Alfie is. She soon started to put them in her mouth and then gum them etc.

If you get in to the habit of cooking veg and stuff with them eating it in mind ie no salt and cut into shapes they can handle easily, then you can just keep passing him some to mess with now. :)

Well i was all geared up to sit Alfie on my knee for tea tonight so he can pick at some veg if he wanted to, even if it was just to throw it around or just look at it, then DH tells me he forgot to get the veg with the shopping :dohh: so looks like we'll have to start tomorrow instead lol think i'll sit him on my knee for breakfast and see how he goes

i recommend crinkly scissors for crafts shops to cut veg up with so they can hold onto it better!

katrina was a picky girl and up till 1 year old she would only eat the fruity pots ... no other food at all. Now look at her... she eats everything that she sees in front of her.

i recommend crinkly scissors for crafts shops to cut veg up with so they can hold onto it better!

Great tip!!! Pinking shears I believe!! From here on shall be known as crinkly scissors!!! :lol: I call the edging shears for the garden the 'sideways scissors'. :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->