BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

I never did traditional weaning so might not work bit have you maybe thought of toast sticks, veg sticks, rice cages, crackers etc. Alongside the puree and show her how to dip? That way she would still be eating by sticking off the food and maybe starting to eat some of the food too? Like I said may be unintentionally bad advice but my lo used to like dipping food and we started blw slightly earlier than 6 months as he used to sit with is at meal tunes so we started when he decided to!

Wow apologies for the spelling mistakes! Sure phone keeps changing words!

My first started blw at 5 months 1 week (Sat up unaided from 4 months) and my second started at 5 months 3 weeks and sat up unaided at 5 and a half months. As long as they can sit up themselves and are reaching for the food and putting it in themselves then I go for it. I have only blw my two though. They probably started swallowing food at 7 months.

Thanks ladies.

She can sit with support but isn't interested in sitting unaided - she has done it for 30 seconds or so at a time but is more interested in trying to stand up, lol.

She definitely can grab something and put it in her mouth. She can fairly accurately grab things and her hands go straight to her mouth. We did some BLW weaning today, she ate two carrot wafers (gluten free) by herself! She also had a jar of baby food. I'm trying to get rid of the jars as I prefer to puree vegetables myself.

I have some tenderstem broccoli and banana which I think we will have tomorrow - she has had whole banana before and has had pureed broccoli so she should be okay!

Hi everyone it's been a long time since Iv posted on here but new baby!

Any way I'm a bit rusty.My last two babies were totally BLW but this bub has weight issues so have have spoon fed him too which I don't really like (such a faff) Anyway he is just over 6 months old, can you remind me with water, is filtered water ok? And is weetabix ok? Or is it too salty

Many thanks

Hiya, I'm pretty sure tap water is fine after 6 months. Weetabix is ok too though I don't give it everyday. I've tried the shredded wheat bitesize today as they have virtually no salt I think.

Any experienced BLW here?

My 9 1/2 month old no longer wants any vegetables. I'm not worried, but I'm just wondering if this phase passes on it's own? Anyone else go through something similar at this age?

Also, he's always seemed to prefer purred food, which is funny because you hear about babies at this age wanting to be independent. But we let him feed himself from the beginning. I suspect he likes purees because it's not so much work and it's easier to eat lots!

Hi ladies, looking for some advice really - I BLW and Puree fed my son and tbh I have totally forgotten what I started him on :/

I think my daughter is ready she turns 6 months on Wednesday but she has been sitting unaided for a while and everything goes into her mouth these days and she watches with fascination when everyone eats!

So I want to do the same for her BLW with some puree in there too but I don't know/can't remember how to start and what I can give her?

(also under pressure from MIL & Mother to traditionally feed her which isn't happening)
So far she is breastfed

Any help/advice appreciated :flower:

Pretty much anything. Purees are fine. Start with large stick-shaped pieces so they're easy to grab. Stripes of meat, veggies, toast, pasta, fruit.

Personally, the first week or two I'd stick to softer foods to see how they handle it, then go from there!

Watch the allergens; check your countries health website for their recommendations.

Avoid salt and refined sugar. Stick to unprocessed foods as much as possible.

Proteins are important.

This sounds really silly but I just need some reassurance that it is ok to give my 6 month old solid foods. I am terrified she will choke. I gave her a rice cake once and she was gagging and got a bit of a fright. What finger foods are best to start with?

Gagging is fine. It is just because their gag reflex os further forward than ours. If you are worried, maybe try something softer like banana or cooked pasta. I tend to find cooked vegetables easier than raw, although now that she has teeth she likes cucumber fingers.

Hi guys, hopefully someone will see this :)

Little M had his three month appointment and we were also visited by the HV. I mentioned to both his doctor and HV that I wanted to do baby led weaning and they were both against it, but didn't really give any solid reasons.

Did any of you have a similar experience and if so, what were their reasons?

Hi guys, hopefully someone will see this :)

Little M had his three month appointment and we were also visited by the HV. I mentioned to both his doctor and HV that I wanted to do baby led weaning and they were both against it, but didn't really give any solid reasons.

Did any of you have a similar experience and if so, what were their reasons?

My doctor said baby will get choked, or have allergies that we couldn't pinpoint because he would be eating what we ate. Nothing scary ever happened though, he's always been able to handle whatever he was gagging on himself.

He was also scared because I couldn't say he has so many oz of veggies and so many of protein and stuff like that, and to be honest not a lot got eaten until he was about 18m-2 years, but he was always a healthy weight. If I had been feeding him I know I would have over fed him based on the daily intake they wanted him to have..blw allowed him to regulate himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->