BLW - Baby led weaning support thread

FFS - I've just been to get LO weighed (tracking his line perfectly, largely due to the fact he's still having loads of milk!) and spoke to the HV about his refusal to be spoonfed. I don't know why I bother. So far comments from them have been:

"Yeah, baby led weaning scares me too". Thanks for your support. As if I wasn't nervous enough already!

And

"Keep trying to sneak spoonfuls into him" after I'd just explained how even if I do that he holds his mouth open until it drops out.

Do these people actually receive any training at all??!

I do have one HV who is pretty supportive of BLW but I haven't seen her around for ages :(

Leo always takes bites too big and gets choked so I have made everything in little bite size chunks so all he has to do is pick it up and eat it.

Also, the first thing he ate was wheat toast with some purée on it cut into sticks he could just pick up.

Those are some things working for me..

As for doctors, they still think I started him on formula/cereal at 4 months. They were pushing it and pushing it even though he was satisfied with milk and in the 95th percentile for height and weight. His last doctors appointment they looked at the weight and told me the cereal really done him some good (still in the 95th percentile though?) I lied by omission of the baby led weaning, I'm pretty sure ill just get crap for it, it's apparently a new concept here. My sister went so far as to say I'm "starving my kid" because of baby led weaning because he only ate a few bites of chicken and tomato with pasta.

Sorry I got a little off track lol
My poin is people don't support the unknown, or do the research so they will know, so just do what you know is right by your baby boy!
It scared me at first too because all he did was play with his food or ignore it and ask to be held, but now he is doing awesome and I'm glad I stuck with it!

Hi I am looking for information/advice/guidance on BLW. With my son I did TW as I didn't know about BLW.

My daughter is almost 20 weeks (5 months a week today! Although adjusted she's only 14 weeks) and I want to start getting all the information ready.

Like how do I know she's ready? (I believe we weaned my son before he was ready) she's starting to put everything in her mouth and she watches us as we eat. She has very good head control too. She'll scream after a feed and I'll have to make her more up (not every bottle but she's on 7Oz atm and sometimes will take a further 2) I've said I won't be introducing foods until 21-24 weeks just want to know the signs she's ready.

I started my baby with blw and he did put some things in his mouth... the problem is that he plays around so long it will take a whole hour for just one meal... and I feel uncomfortable just leaving him in the chair to eat... I feel like he's gonna choke on something as soon as I walk away..so I started giving him purees instead...I really want blw to work though so i want to give it a second chance...

do you guys have any advice for me?

I started my baby with blw and he did put some things in his mouth... the problem is that he plays around so long it will take a whole hour for just one meal... and I feel uncomfortable just leaving him in the chair to eat... I feel like he's gonna choke on something as soon as I walk away..so I started giving him purees instead...I really want blw to work though so i want to give it a second chance...

do you guys have any advice for me?

I wouldn't leave him in a high chair with food. What I did was eat with my daughter so while she maybe had a bit of fun with a melon I was eating one. They learn so much by watching you, so when I ate she would have something on her plate with me. Then you are supervising them at the same time. Also playing with food is part of BLW. They are learning about food as a new thing so exploring texture, smell, colour and taste. You kind of have to let go of the nutritional side of eating and let them have fun at this age.

I baby led weaned my 3.5 year old and 15 month old. Remeber food is for fun until 1, most babies don't really start eating until around 10-12 months so don't be surprized if they don't eat much to begin with.

Eating with you is a great idea as they want what you want, we just put meals in the middle of the table and then serve so they know we all have the same and they're both pretty great eaters. We all have off days and even at 3 sometimes my eldest will go a day and wont eat much but on other days she will eat loads. Vegetables are not a problem as we introduced them early. Don't sneak extra spoonfuls or your baby will become lazy (my nursery did this to my eldest for a little while when she was there).

I am pregnant with my third and honestly I'd never try tradition weaning now. The reason a baby led weaned baby eats less to start with is they learn to chew first and then swallow as opposed to a traditionally weaned baby who learns to swallow first so seemingly eats 'lots' but sucks the food to the back of the mouth. I believe that a baby led weaned baby would in theory have less chance of choking. When a traditionally weaned baby encounters food they're more likely to suck it straight to the back of the mouth bypassing the babys gag reflex, babies can choke on purees as well as whole food. A baby led weaned baby will think to chew first and therefore when hey encounter risky fiids such as grapes, cherry tomatoes etc they are less likely to suck them to the back of the mouth and choke.

Also remember gagging is different from choking and is a natural reflex to prevent choking. Choking is like a silent wretch whereas gagging can be very noisy, it helps them to learn how to move food around with their tongue and prevents premature swallowing.
https://www.babyledweaning.com/features/gagging/the-gagging-thing-v-the-choking-thing/

Hello all

My 8 months old is really enjoying BLW and eating loads however I have a few questions you might be able to help with.

How do you serve hard boiled eggs? Cut into wedges or sticks? Bit worried about chocking risk.

Also how do I get him to try more dairy? We do cream cheese on toast and milk on weetabix plus grated cheese. Any other ideas?

Anyone has suggestions for breakfast cereals we could try? So far we had weetabix soaked in a bit of milk and porridge fingers xx

Hello all

My 8 months old is really enjoying BLW and eating loads however I have a few questions you might be able to help with.

How do you serve hard boiled eggs? Cut into wedges or sticks? Bit worried about chocking risk.

Also how do I get him to try more dairy? We do cream cheese on toast and milk on weetabix plus grated cheese. Any other ideas?

Anyone has suggestions for breakfast cereals we could try? So far we had weetabix soaked in a bit of milk and porridge fingers xx

Hello all

I used to cut hard boiled eggs into quarter wedges, but my little hated the yolk. I think I could have actually gotten away with cutting it in half but I was scared he'd get choked

Just have to say that I love meal time with my 7.5 month old. We started solids at 6 months and he's been thoroughly enjoying the experience.

It's very very messy business, but that aside I think meal time is the best part of the day.

I encourage anyone who is thinking about BLW to give it a go!

If I give my baby some roasted or steamed veg, is it best to give sticks of say, carrot, or chunks that are bite sized.

I'm very worried about choking. What if she bites off a piece that's too big?!

A gave my son sticks, she'll probably spit it out of it's too big.

Eta: that's part of the learning experience, too. She'll learn to take smaller bites

Sticks. Easier for them to hold and feed themselves it.

A gave my son sticks, she'll probably spit it out of it's too big.

Eta: that's part of the learning experience, too. She'll learn to take smaller bites

That's what I thought regarding the learning experience but it scares me! I'll just do it though (whilst sitting on the edge if me seat!!!)

Thanks everyone :)

We just started last week and I'm looking for breakfast ideas. We have had porridge, fruit and I tried weetabix but it went all mushy!

Scotch pancakes were always a hit here, used to add grated Apple, mashed banana etc.

(my lo is 9 months now)

He loves bread, so I try not to feed him too much of it, but we'll have muffins, toast, pancakes etc. all work well.

Scrambled/omelet eggs

Fruit - pears are his favorite

And in a pinch I have baby oat cereal which I usually flavour with cinnamon

Hi everyone it's been a long time since Iv posted on here but new baby!

Any way I'm a bit rusty.My last two babies were totally BLW but this bub has weight issues so have have spoon fed him too which I don't really like (such a faff) Anyway he is just over 6 months old, can you remind me with water, is filtered water ok? And is weetabix ok? Or is it too salty

Many thanks

Hey, just looking for a bit of advice.

My wee one is 5 months and has a cows milk allergy, so is on prescribed milk. She is taking 4x7-8oz bottles per day and has been for the past while.

We have started doing traditional weaning, giving her tastes of pureed vegetables and baby porridge since around 4 months.

She has now lost her tongue thrust reflex and is properly starting to eat. We always intended to do BLW however when her allergy was undiagnosed, she started refusing milk altogether and in a state of panic we gave her purée to get something into her.

Yesterday, she took a full pouch of ellas kitchen sweet potato. She was grabbing the spoon and pushing it into her mouth with our guidance.

What should we do now? I know technically she is too young for BLW but I'm not wanting to stop food, and I'm also not wanting to continue purees for another month and then suddenly move onto BLW.

We did give her a cooked carrot stick which she picked up and put to her mouth and sucked, she chewed on it a bit but didn't eat any. Is this ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->