Baby has hydronephrosis

mamawannabee

Natural Mama/WTT #2
Reaction score
Has anyone else been diagnosed with this during u/s? We got the news yesterday and having done some research I am drastically relieved but am looking for others who have been through this. They said baby has one partially obstructed kidney and they will be monitoring by u/s every 3 or 4 weeks with the high risk ob. Feeling very lost and worried, just looking for some support/advice/experience.

My son was born at 28.6 weeks and had it. He had a grade I and grade II, but they resolved on their own. :thumbup:

So glad to hear they resolved for him! That's what I've heard from most people is that it resolves without any treatment, is that why he was premature if you don't mind my asking?

So glad to hear they resolved for him! That's what I've heard from most people is that it resolves without any treatment, is that why he was premature if you don't mind my asking?

Oh, no! He was born premature due to spontaneous preterm labor, it had nothing to do with that, so I wouldn't worry about that if you were!

It didn't cause him any trouble while he had it. He was put on amoxicillin for a little while, but that was just to prevent any infection. By the time he was discharged from the NICU, his grade II kidney had dropped to a grade I and his grade I kidney had completely resolved. They're both now resolved, and have been for a while.

Thank you so much for giving some help here, and I am so glad to see that he is doing well now despite being born so early! What I have read, but not been told by the doctor is that frequently it clears by 18 months but I don't know anyone who has had to deal with it, so I wasn't sure how accurate that was. I realize being only 1 of the kidneys, it probably isn't a huge deal as people can live with only 1 but being sent to the high risk ob I think just made me worry extra.

It was discovered at 28 weeks u/s that my daughter had hydronephrosis. She was expected to be a large baby (her older brother was 10lb). At the scan, they discovered that she was indeed a very good size but that I had ogliohydramniosis (low fluid level). I was told I'd need regular scans to monitor her. At 30 weeks I started going into labour which was stopped and given steroids to mature her lungs just in case. The hospital eventually decided to induce me at 35 weeks due to further decreasing fluid levels and complications caused by my pelvis - I was hospitalised at 34weeks and wheelchair bound. My daughter was born at a very healthy 7lb 7oz (she would've been HUGE at full term!

The first 3 months of her life was a series of trips to the hospital and various tests and scans which confirmed a low grade "blockage" in her left kidney and she looked decidedly orange for most of those 3 months due to jaundice - she had difficulty in getting rid of the excess bilubrium coupled with kidney infections in the affected kidney. She started a long term course of antibiotics and things started improving, no more orange glow and no more infections! She came off of the antibiotics at 18 months and further scans showed that she'd outgrown it. Shes a healthy, strapping 8yr old now - still prone to the occasional kidney infection in the left kidney but I can recognise the signs now and get her on antibiotics as soon as I suspect one (had 5-6 infections since 18 mths).

Good luck with your LO, I'm sure everything will be fine. Thinking of you as I remember how worrying that initial diagnosis was for me. :hugs:

Thank you so much also for responding, I am dealing better with it now that I have had some time to research, think it over, and talk to others. I know it is something we will deal with and that may complicate things, but will not ruin LO's infancy or childhood. Whatever happens we will take the best possible care of to make sure LO is healthy and happy. I'm glad to hear that she is doing well now! I hadn't heard from many people with older children and how they had grown with it, so it is good to hear a story like yours and knowing that I will see the signs to get help for him/her if anything comes up.

Hi hun my son has this condition. What where the measurements of dilation. Iv become a book of knowledge on this so feel free to pm me with any question. My sons is classed a chronic hydronephrosis so could answer alot of questions you might have

Hi hun my son has this condition. What where the measurements of dilation. Iv become a book of knowledge on this so feel free to pm me with any question. My sons is classed a chronic hydronephrosis so could answer alot of questions you might have

Thank you so much for responding, I just got back from the high risk ob again and the right kidney seems to be just borderline now, it is about 5 mm but the left is 1.2 cm. My biggest concern was just what sort of follow up treatment it will require, as they have not been able to answer that so far. The OB said it will definitely require therapy after birth, but it could range from antibiotics to surgery, and he really couldn't tell me much until we meet with the pediatric urologist.

Thank you so much for responding, I just got back from the high risk ob again and the right kidney seems to be just borderline now, it is about 5 mm but the left is 1.2 cm. My biggest concern was just what sort of follow up treatment it will require, as they have not been able to answer that so far. The OB said it will definitely require therapy after birth, but it could range from antibiotics to surgery, and he really couldn't tell me much until we meet with the pediatric urologist.

5mm is a considered a mild case of hydronephosis so I would expect treatment to be Long course antibiotics and routine scans every 3 months to monitor. Has the dilatation increased dramatically or fairly slowly? I assume you are aware that it is most likely renal Reflux or an obstruction

They had said it is most likely one of the two, the left side kidney is located lower in the pelvis than normal and he said that is likely what caused it, as it does not have the room to function normally being more squished in the pelvis. That side has increased more dramatically, they didn't give me the measurements last time, but it now has 3 parts to it that look like balloons, whereas last time it was just enlarged but not doing that, and he said it is minimally functional. However the other side has shrunk, I don't know if he meant in relation to baby's growth or actually is smaller than before. The last u/s was 6 weeks ago at 19 weeks. He did say that amniotic fluid looked just fine, and the bladder looks good, which were reassuring, as I was concerned the amniotic fluid levels would become a problem.

Hey I am looking for some advice please. I am 33 wks preg and my baby has 14mm fluid on right kidney. How bad is this? x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->