UK Ladies 40+

Halle71

Pregnant with number 2!
Reaction score
Hello

My midwife told me that the NICE guidelines have changed recently and as a 41 year old I am now considered high risk. She also said that my consultant is able to sign me off if he is happy with everything so this may not mean anything for the birth but I wondered if I get extra scans.

Is there anyone else high risk because of age who can confirm this?

Cheers

Hx

Yes I got extra scans due to being high risk, but I think that's only if you stay under a Consultant.
:thumbup:

Thanks, I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I am 40 and I was told I'm high-risk because of age too. But I haven't seen a consultant, what exactly is that? And I haven't received any extra scans or appointments, or been told that I'll get any in future - just the 12-wk scan, 20-wk anomaly scan and 32-wk growth scan (can't remember if there are any after that).
But they told me I'll need to give birth on the labour ward, not any of the 'softer' options, and def not a homebirth (which suits me fine!).

If you're high risk you should be referred to a consultant at the hospital who will share your care with the midwives. Depending on how high risk you'll either see more of the midwife or more of the consultant.
When you have an appt with the consultant they can then order more scans if they feel there are any problems.
I had scans almost weekly due to GD and worries about the placenta.
If everything is going ok and it's just your age then you probably won't need extra scans.
Hope that helps :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->