The Nightmare Transverse Lie - UK

Avasaurus91

Reaction score
Hi,

I wanted to log on to share my recent experience in order to help other ladies who might be in my situation.

A bit about me; I am going through my 3rd pregnancy, i am in the UK, i have Insulin controlled GDM.

On Thursday 20th I attended my diabetic clinic appointment for a growth scan, I was 36 + 1 at this point. I was hoping baby would have turned head down as both my other babies were head down by 36 weeks, due to COVID-19 my partner was unable to be at my appointment with me as the clinic was extremely busy, the sonographer broke the bad news that baby was in transverse lie (Laid Across my belly) and the midwife would be able to talk me through it further so back out to the waiting room i went.

I was called into the midwifes room where she said baby is transverse we need to get a doctor (OBGYN) to come and speak to you, due to the risks that can occur with a transverse baby i was admitted to the antenatal ward. We discussed my options ECV (Turn baby in the womb) or C-Section, as i wanted to try and deliver normally i opted for the ECV.

ECV was done the following morning by the on call consultant and the registrar. They scanned baby before hand and she had turned to Breech Oblique (Laid Diagonally across belly) and this was very favourable for turning baby. I had geared myself to be in a lot of pain going through the procedure but it was more like a heavy pressure and i felt a bit unwell for the remainder of the day but it was done Yay! Baby was head down :)

The Dr explained if baby stayed head down for 2 days then we would be able to go home until our induction between 37 - 38 weeks. On The sunday (Day 2 of baby being head down i asked if we could get a date for induction as i was concerned baby would turn back but the consultant on call refused to discuss the matter as she was not a diabetic consultant and i was informed no other consultants were on call but they booked me an appointment for Thursday 27th)

I attended my appointment on the 27th actually spoke with my consultant (who is absolutely lovely) She asked for 2 more bits of information to set an induction date a CTG to monitor baby heart and make sure that was ok and another scan as she was not happy that the ward had not arranged a follow up scan so we did this.

I had the scan at 4pm and my heart was broken, my DD3 has moved back into breech oblique, it is too high risk to try and move her again and the consultant i saw after the scan also explained this position is not able to be laboured naturally either. I cried, and cried i won't lie, all i have told myself since is why didn't the doctor on sunday just agree to the induction and this could have been avoided.

I am now booked to go into hospital on Sunday 30th January to start getting prepared for a c-section as i have to have steroid injections before the c-section in order to make sure babies lungs are developed enough as Gestational Diabetes can cause the lungs to develop immaturely. My C-Section will now be Tuesday Morning.

To any momma's going through a similar thing, if you are not happy get that second opinion.

If you have to have an ECV and it doesn't work it's not your fault, baby has turned back into the position for a reason!

If you have to have a c-section for medial reasons even though you don't want one it is ok, you are looking after you and your baby!

I hope that sharing my story helps others going through the same thing, you are not alone, you are strong, you have got this!

Much Love

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->