Teaching baby to self feed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laeyla

Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on how to go about teaching him to self feed and when to start.

My lil guy is starting to feed himself small things, like baby mum mums, peas, cheerios, puffs, etc. He's in the mashed stage right now, some stuff I just cut up for him if it's soft like bananas and cooked carrots and he's fine with that. He sometimes grabs at his mashed food and brings it to his mouth...or attempts to, :haha:

But do I just start letting him go to town on everything? And once I start should I stop feeding him myself all the time so it's consistently him doing it? He sometimes grabs for the spoon and puts it in his mouth but he doesn't quite understand how to get the food off the spoon once it's in there, hehe. So I've been helping him with that, but for now he just lets go once I grab it.

I'm not in any rush just looking for advice for the future :)
Thx!

After 6 months its fine to feed them pretty much anything. There is no need to teach them how. If given the opportunity to explore food they will figure it out on their own time. You can stop feeding him whenever you are comfortable. BLW people allow self feeding from the beginning so its really up to you. There is no right or wrong way to wean

I agree, no need to teach them, they learn it themselves with practise. Just offer some finger foods at each mealtime (sticks of cooked carrot, broccoli floret, potato wedge, strip of chicken, piece of melon, fusilli pasta, whatever you are having really) and gradually he will be able to pick up a wider range of food shapes. Peas are fun to play with when he is a month or so older and good practise for picking up smaller things.

I'm looking for advice on how to go about teaching him to self feed and when to start.

My lil guy is starting to feed himself small things, like baby mum mums, peas, cheerios, puffs, etc. He's in the mashed stage right now, some stuff I just cut up for him if it's soft like bananas and cooked carrots and he's fine with that. He sometimes grabs at his mashed food and brings it to his mouth...or attempts to, :haha:

But do I just start letting him go to town on everything? And once I start should I stop feeding him myself all the time so it's consistently him doing it? He sometimes grabs for the spoon and puts it in his mouth but he doesn't quite understand how to get the food off the spoon once it's in there, hehe. So I've been helping him with that, but for now he just lets go once I grab it.

I'm not in any rush just looking for advice for the future :)
Thx!

I believe a decent method to begin with is to put a couple of bits of food on your infant's chair plate. Let him/her feel it. It might appear as he is simply playing with it, yet he is actually trying to learn.
At first, your infant may get a handle on for the food with a raking movement, utilizing the whole clench hand to push the food toward his/her mouth. In the long run, he'll build up a fine ability to grab good with the thumb and pointer, called the pincer handle.

I would suggest giving your baby soft food for self feeding like soft bananas, avocados, peaches, soft cooked sweet potatoes or peas.

Very old thread. Locked to save any confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"