progestrone shots?

thosevibes

Reaction score
Midwife said I'll be starting progesterone shots starting 16 weeks. Is anyone else going to need them or had them before?

That doesn't make much sense thosevibes. I read that in the January thread and thought you'd accidentally written it wrong!

Usually if you're put on progesterone it happens prior to and up though about week 12. By that time the placenta has taken over making it so even if a woman is deficient in early pregnancy it can regulate it far better.

I've not read of artificial progesterone being used beyond that. Did she say why she thought it necessary for you to start it at 16 weeks and for how long she anticipated you'd need to take it?

(I was just given the go ahead to discontinue the progesterone suppositories I was on as my levels were high enough and it's evident my body is making plenty on it's own at this point. I was initially given the option of doing the PIO injections but when I saw those needles......forget about it!!!)

I'm pretty sure my midwife said starting at 16 weeks. Don't know when they plan on stopping the shots.

I had a preterm baby and the shots are supposed to keep baby in longer. At least that's what I understand anyway.

I've heard from one person who had them tell me it makes symptoms stronger!

I'll tell you, I had little to no symptoms my first two pregnancies. This time around I'm not sure if it's because I'm dealing with twins, or the fact that I was on estrogen and progesterone but I've been beyond miserable - terrible cramping and back pain, crippling fatigue, tender breasts, insane bloating and I go back and forth from being nauseated and vomiting up the wazoo to being famished 1000x a day.

I don't talk much about it because I am so grateful to be pregnant at all after what we've been through that I thank God for every awful symptom I have daily.

I hope it's just the twins wreaking their havoc and not the meds so you don't have to worry about those kinds of things when you have to start!

(No joke though, I'd ask her if you can take the suppositories over the PIO. If you have to take them from 16 weeks on you're going to end up unbelievably sore and knotted up. I'm not kidding when I say the needles are giant, you have to stab, and there's such a small space to administer them into your upper bum....many women taking them for assisted repro cycles end up switching because they have a hard time making it from transfer to just finishing up the first tri - a max of 8ish weeks)

Taking progesterone weeks 16-36 is a common precaution for women who have had previous pre-term labors. It's pretty much the same thing that goes on when women take it to avoid miscarriage: getting the body not to kick the baby out too early. My son was born early so my OBGYN started me on progesterone at 16 weeks, too. She gave me the option of injections or oral meds, so I decided to take the oral pills. The only side effects I have are being dizzy and tired about 30-60 minutes after taking them. Thankfully, my doctor instructed me to take the meds before bed so it works out. They actually help me fall asleep faster.

I agree with messica. They are usually used early on but I guess if you have pre term labor they might use it then. I did the shots for 6 weeks and by the end of it part of my butt has lost feeling and there are still knots I am working to massage out a week later. Just make sure you warm up the shot before you inject it and put heat on the injection site and massage well. Alternate sides to minimize the pain and size of the knots that can be created from the oil in the shot. It sucks you are sore but it is manageable and I would do it all pregnancy if it meant having a healthy baby but the progesterone suppositories are a lot less painful just gross.

Jinga - you learn something new everyday I guess!

I actually had terrible preterm labor with my first two and progesterone therapy was never presented to me as an option then or now. I'm sure there are different reasons why a woman experiences it though so maybe that has something to do with how they attempt to treat it in the future?

Seoul - you sure speak the truth about the gross factor of the suppositories - bleck and a half.

shots, suppositories, oral.... I'll ask about oral lol! So far none of them sound appealing. Anything to keep little one in to full term though. I won't see my midwife for three weeks so I'll ask then.

Progestrone sounds blah so far. Thanks for giving me some warning, ladies. At least I know to prepare myself!

i had progesterone therapy in my 2nd pregnancy (vaginal suppositories last thing at night) from 22 to 32 weeks after having a 27 weeker in my first pregnancy. I went to term. It was part of a research trial, although it is used outwith trials in some areas/countries.

It really, really wasnt that bad at all :) Totally worth a try IMO, i would do it all again

I'll be having progesterone shots later on in this pregnancy to help avoid pretem labour. They think I have incompetent cervix and this is supposed to help keep the cervix closed along with a cerclage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashhmichelle
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->