Private renting question

A

AutumnRose

It doesnt seem like i will be able to get a mortgage afterall..:cry:
My other option is private renting but if i was going to decorate the house and paint it etc then the landlord tell me 6 months later he wants to sell the house...
I will be gutted after spending so much money on it.
So my question is if you are private renting how long have you been in the property for?
Are landlords ok with you painting, putting pictues up etc?

It depends ....

A lot of landlords dont like you doing that kind of thing, some let you do it but say you must "right" it again before you leave, repaint, fill holes etc.

Thats just my experience though, ive not heard of many landlords saying you can do as you please in that way.

I was in my last place for a year, was supposed to be 6 month lease but we just carried it on. Think in general landlords don't mind you putting pics up, painting etc as long as the walls are put back the colour they were when you moved in and any holes are filled in

We have a 6 month tenancy at the mo, hoping we will be able to extend it. The landlord has said we can put pics up as long as we fill in the holes etc. We aren't allowed to change the decor tho. A lot of landlords decorate in neutral colours tho so its not too bad xx

we have a 6month asured contract witch will carry on untill we or the landlord give notice..

We are aloud to paint, change floors, relay the garden and put up pictures..

All we have to do when we leave is make sure the colours are pastel/netrual if there are alot of holes in the walls from pictures to fill them in...

and the most important thing to our landlord is when we leave we clean the cooker :rofl:

Before here I was in a private rented house for 3 years. It was awful. They had moved out to run a pub and left their own personal taste in decorating, and it was foul. I asked if I could decorate in neutral colours after we moved in, and was told no! Poor Kayleighs bedroom was 4 different wallpapers - one of them 1980's black, grey and red stripes!!!! And the kitchen had massive yellow and blue daisys on the wall.:dohh:

My landlord lets us put pictures up, we have to fill in any holes when we leave. Not allowed to decorate that is the case with most landlords. My tenancy is a year long. Im in the second year now

I have decorated 4 rooms since we moved in. Our landlord bought the house already decorated and said we could decorate however we wanted.

He did do the living, i asked if i could re-do it. He agreed and loved what i did with it.

Just ask, i did.

V xxx

We are in the last stretch of our tenancy now, we signed for 12 months. We're not supposed to make any permanent alterations, but little things like hanging pictures and taking the curtains/lampshades down etc can easily be sorted before we leave. To be honest it's pretty neutral decor so we probably wouldn't have bothered even if it had been allowed as we're not intending to stay past the end of the contract (rent too pricey!)

We used to rent a flat owned by a housing association and they basically allowed you to behave as though you owned it. When i very first moved there they gave me B&Q vouchers to get some paint etc and i laid all the carpets and flooring (it didn't have any when i got the keys!) but then i stayed there a long time before starting to rent privately so it was worth spending the money to make it feel 'my own' so to speak.

Good luck with the house hunting.

Our landlord said we could decorate, put pictures up etc but we haven't bothered as knew we didn't want to be here longterm.

I think if you are planning on being there for a while and will be decorating neutrally most landlords don't have a problem with it as long as its agreed with them through the letting agency or direct.

If you want something specific (say a childs bedroom) then I think as long as you put it back to how it was previously most are fine with it.

We will be moving into another rented house in the next few months and this is one of my concerns to, we want to be there for 1-2 years at least, possibly longer if still in no position to buy so I don't want to be spending a fortune on decorating a nursery to be told after 6 months the landlord is selling or somethiing !!

Most landlords want someone in longterm as its saves them the hassle of sorting out new tenants every 6 months so I think that if you say to a potential landlord that you want to decorate as you are looking to be there for quite a while they will bite your hand off.

The downside is things like flooring and curtains, although most rented houses have neutral carpets they aren't exactly luxurious so that is one thing that I wouldn't want to invest in as you can't take it with you. Our current house has really nasty cheap laminate flooring throughout and we are stuck with it.

The curtains in our house are vile, they match the vile border so no point in changing them and they would more than likely be a different size to the next house we move to so we have put up with them for nearly a year !

I hate renting !!!

we have been in our private flat for nearly 2 yrs now... when we signed the lease they said no pictures on walls etc no painting.... however we have painted the girls room just before xmas there. We paid a securiity deposit and according to those that we still speak to that have left the building etc and other neighbours the landlord never gives the deposit back... they always find "something" to make sure they get to keep it. There for we thought bugger it. And painted the girls room lol. We will run magnolia over it if and when the time comes we ever have to leave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->