Noise complaints in a Duplex (side by side)

adrie

Reaction score
*** Can someone tell me how to upload an attachment? I would like to post a letter we received from our neighbor. ***
We have lived in our duplex for 4.5 years. Our neighbor expects to never hear any semblance of noise any time of day. We have two kids, ages 6 and 3. She lives alone in a 4 bed, 2 bath duplex. We have computer speakers, not a sound system.

She is trying to tell me how to parent, where my kids should go inside and outside of the home, and how we should outfit our home in a way that suits her. No mention of anything she has done to try and lessen the "severity" of the issues on her end.

My kids have been on the balcony a total of one time since the start of the pandemic in mid March. She also lied in the letter--previous tenants were evicted as they had kids who would drink tea and jump off furniture at 9pm. So she was not as accommodating or compromising as she is trying to make it seem in the letter.

Am I wrong to think this is the epitome of entitlement and totally unacceptable? We try our best to be mindful of music and kid noise. Never play music after bylaw hours stipulate and kids are in bed and quiet from 7:30pm. We never throw parties and prior to the pandemic would rarely have small gatherings, mostly one other small family over for dinner and a visit. I asked a year ago how the noise was and she said through text "it is mostly okay." So which is it?

The landlord is best friends with this neighbor, built a hair cutting studio in the basement for her and now she is out of work and has probably lost it during the pandemic. Thanks for reading my letter! Any thoughts?

Here in the US they cant discriminate because you have kids. Of course they can skirt around it and lie but if you can prove it was because of your kids, you can fight it.

Look at your lease for noise levels, quiet hours, guests and if she makes a stink, quote your lease OR local law. A neighbor is NOT above the law!

In the reply box at the bottom of the thread there’s a more options, if you click that it brings up reply to thread , upload a file and then preview . Upload a file will let you upload from your mobile / tablet device .

As for your neighbour I’d tell her to go stick it !!
Kids are kids for God’s sake and it doesn’t sound like you are making excessive noise . Now more than ever we need to be more lenient with our neighbours especially those with kids stuck in doors with no outside / garden area !

I wouldn’t worry about it too much . The council where I live wouldn’t do a thing about it under the circumstances or anytime in fact it’s just normal day to day living noise !! She’s got too much time on her hands ! Busy body!

Just to add she probably thinks she ownes the building just because she is friends with the land lord . This is not the case ! Don’t let her bully you because of this.

Here in the US they cant discriminate because you have kids. Of course they can skirt around it and lie but if you can prove it was because of your kids, you can fight it.

Look at your lease for noise levels, quiet hours, guests and if she makes a stink, quote your lease OR local law. A neighbor is NOT above the law!

I’d deffo be looking into this too ! Just cover all aspects xx

I also live in a duplex.. we are the middle flat with one above and one below. I have three children, 10 year old autistic, 7 year old with some serious behaviour issues and a 5 year old. We try our utter best to be conscious of our neighbours BUT that being said.. they are children.. they are going to make noise. If you dont want to hear it then you dont move into a duplex. I try to keep my kids quiet before 9am and after 6pm... between those hours its tough luck (unless we know either nieghbour is ill or doing night shifts). My neighbours are understanding 99% of the time. I do sometimes really feel for them, especially when meltdowns happen but they cant be helped at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->