How long did you wait after heartbeat was gone?

Ella_Hopeful

Mom to 5 inc. b/g twins. RPL sufferer.
Reaction score
Anyone waited for a natural m/c after seeing no heartbeat?

I had a bad experience with misoprostol and don't want a D&C if I can help it.

Fetus measured 6+5 with no heartbeat, I am now 8w+3 according to my dates (which are accurate) - no signs of anything happening yet.

I don't remember how long it took with my previous m/c that was at a similar stage.

My first m/c was a blighted ovum twin pg that kept growing, hence I had to take misoprostol at 11+ weeks.

I don't have any advice but I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry for your loss :hugs:.

Fetus measured 6+5 with no heartbeat, I am now 8w+3 according to my dates (which are accurate) - no signs of anything happening yet.

I don't remember how long it took with my previous m/c that was at a similar stage.

My first m/c was a blighted ovum twin pg that kept growing, hence I had to take misoprostol at 11+ weeks.
Take advice from your doctor. I think it took me about two weeks (found out baby was measuring 7 and a half weeks when I should have been 8 and a half) and I think it was a few days to a week after that that I started bleeding.

I'm sorry for your loss. I had no hb at 6 weeks and waited til 9 when the hospital finally accepted it wasn't a viable pregnancy and because of covid I had no choice but to take misoprosol. I also didn't have a good experience with it. While it made me miscarry the pregnancy I still had some sac left and had to wait a further 3 weeks before they would give me it again which again didn't work and I had to wait a further 3 weeks before they agreed to do a MVA. Which finally sorted it. I was technically 16 weeks when it was all finally sorted.

Honestly the mva was painful but so much better than the drugs and thankfully put an end to it all. I wish they would have let me do that from the start.

Sending you hugs.

I have never had a missed miscarriage so I am not really much help there. If there was no heartbeat seen, I was usually already miscarrying and had gone in for a scan because of the bleeding. The one time I didn't start miscarrying right off like that was with my 14 week miscarriage. I found out at 14+1 that there was no heartbeat but the baby was measuring pretty much right on with my dates yet so the heart had literally just stopped. I had to wait a week for my D&C appt and in that week, I had some bouts of minor cramping and two episodes of brown discharge but nothing else happened. I opted for the D&C though because that far along, I was risking infection and hemorrhage if I'd let it happen naturally and we live half an hour from the nearest hospital, had 2 kids under 4 at home, and DH was working long hours in largely unreachable by phone areas. I didn't want to have something serious start happening at home with to little ones there and no way to get to town so I decided to do the surgery. It was totally fine. I went in, was knocked out for about 30 minutes while the doctor did the D&C, and was heading home about 3 hours after I got there.

I've never had the misoprostol so I'm no help there but if you feel comfortable waiting it out for a little while longer, you probably could see if something starts on its own. However, the longer you wait, the higher the risk is you could end up with an infection or needing a D&C after all due to retained tissue. So if you decide to wait, I wouldn't wait too terribly long for things to start for those reasons.

Edited to add that I'm so terribly sorry for your loss.

So sorry for your loss.

One of my experiences was a blighted ovum and took about 3.5 weeks from “diagnosis” of a non-viable pregnancy to bleeding and passing the big stuff… and then I kept bleeding on and off for about 6-8 weeks after that. I wanted to do natural as well because I didn’t want the d&c to mess with my fertility as we only had one child at the time.

As long as you’re feeling healthy I would just keep waiting, as hard as it is. Our bodies were meant to pass babies if they don’t survive. That being said if your dr knows you want a natural m/c perhaps you could ask for some additional care, like a blood test or ultrasound next week to see where hcg and things are at. To say that you’re risking infection for waiting, I don’t know about that. What if you hadn’t had an ultrasound? Then you wouldn’t have known unless you started bleeding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->