• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Home Birth hopefull but diffrent oppinions from midwifes???

MadamRose

Mummy to 3 and WTT for #4
Reaction score
I have finally managed to talk OH around to letting me have a home birth. Its somethinng I have wanted before i even feel pregnant. Its the way i have always planned my baby being born. However i am having a problem, 2 midwives are telling me diffrent things, one is saying they would recommed it due to spotting at 24ish weeks. However the other said she wouldnt see a problem with it at all as the spotting was due to the fact i needed an anti-d injection.
Of course if i went into labour to early or had to be induced i wouldnt have one, or if any problems showed i would get straight to hopsital.
What should i do about contrasting views?

Personally hun, I would make my feelings quite clear that I wanted a homebirth. Sadly, with some midwives you really have to stand your ground. Its you RIGHT to birth where you want, its their job to inform you but not scare you off for no good reason :)

Thanks the only words i got on the matter were i wouldnt advice it due to your bleed, i was like it was spotting not a bleed. And then she ended my whole appointment. I was like a lot of explanain.
May i ask how you went about approchin you midwife who wasnt happy to get one?

I have had this too, very recently in fact.

One mw in particular told me (over the past 16 weeks)
1)I should go under consultant led care as I'd need an epi in labour due to having spd
2)I'd HAVE to go in to the unit if there was another woman delivering the same night
3)I would need to go to hospital for delivery due to my haemoglobin being too low

Each time I came away from my appt deflated, gutted and in tears lol.

I still went ahead with requesting my homebirth, and spoke to my homebirth team leader today and she was SO positive -it was so refreshing to get the full facts and info but with a positive 'you can do it' mentality. She didn't see my spd as a problem at all -infact says I'll be more mobile at home with spd than in hospital or any CMU (which I knew anyway, but felt as though no-one else believed me haha) and as for the anaemia, she was happy to hear I was started on iron tabs, drinking fresh OJ and said my Hb level wasn't that low anyway and should be great for when I go into labour!!!!

I think we jsut have to understand that some mw's are pro home birth and some not so - take the anti homebirth advice with a pinch of salt, research yourself and hopefully once you are getting seen by your home birth team you'll only get positivity.
I know some ppl have refused to be seen by these ppl that ARE anti homebirth but in my experience (other than maybe a bit old fashioned lol) the other mw does have mine and baby's best interest at heart- and as long as I am not discussing the birth( I dont need to -only go for routine checks ) with her I find she is really nice and is very thorough

xx

thanks. If i want a homebirth do i have to go through my own midwife to start with in order to get refered to the people who are incharge of the homebirths in my area.

thanks. If i want a homebirth do i have to go through my own midwife to start with in order to get refered to the people who are incharge of the homebirths in my area.

Yep just tell them at your next appt - they cannot refuse ,can offer advice and recommendations etc but have to allow you the freedom of informed choice. I first mentioned my Hb at 28 weeks, and it was passed onto the home birth team who contacted me at 36 weeks by phone and then again today to finalise things and arrange delivery of kit etc.

xx

Thanks thats very useful to know. I will mention it at my next appointment and get the ball rolling :D im very excited and its nice to know im not the only person who has been told no that is still so postive about it :D
Hope everything goes well for you and your homebirth, and will look forward to hearing the birthing story from it :D

Hope all goes well at your next appt xx

I am getting so excited about my impending homebirth now -hope all goes to plan there xxx

Aww i bet you are getting excited, im sure it will go to plan. You will have to let us all know how it goes :D

Re the anti-D injection. Once baby is born they will take the placenta away and check to see what blood group LO is. If baby is Rhesus positive, then a midwife should come round the next day and give you the injection - this is what happened to me. x

Re the anti-D injection. Once baby is born they will take the placenta away and check to see what blood group LO is. If baby is Rhesus positive, then a midwife should come round the next day and give you the injection - this is what happened to me. x

So being at home does not effect this at all? so i def should not let it be used as i reason i can't. thanks for the info :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hds13
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->