Emergency CPR for babies under the age of one

hey thanx for puttin this up...i did no most of it but when nadim completly stopped breathin i wasnt in the right state of mind to do anythin wiv him....

I learnt this on my first aid course, I don't think anything ever prepares you to have to do this on any baby let alone your own baby.

It's really good to have as a memory jogger! Thanks ever so much :flower:

This is a really good idea, thankyou!

I've just signed up to do a peadiatric first aid course at my local sure start centre, ites free of charge and they even provide the child care (its a two hour course). So if anyone is interested in doing a course it might be worth calling your local sure start centre and asking if they have anything planned.

Thanks for putting this together - it's vital information evert parent should know!

We were always taught that when giving rescue breaths to a baby you have to be very careful not to over-inflate their lungs, as they are so much smaller than ours. We were taught that you should fill your cheeks with air and only use this amount per breath. I don't know if you want to update your post with this - it was stressed very heavily in the class I did.

thank you for this post, I agree with everyone else. Hopefully we never have to use it.

Thanks for putting this together - it's vital information evert parent should know!

We were always taught that when giving rescue breaths to a baby you have to be very careful not to over-inflate their lungs, as they are so much smaller than ours. We were taught that you should fill your cheeks with air and only use this amount per breath. I don't know if you want to update your post with this - it was stressed very heavily in the class I did.

done! :flower:

Great thread, thank you so much for posting it xx

Thank you so much - I hope no one on here ever has to use it but it might just help one person one day

great thread! Thanks for posting! Like everyone said, hopefully none of us ever need this, but it's good to know.
xo

Just to say thanks to this thread I completed a 2 day paediatric first aid course and passed today!

I'd been meaning to do it since LO was tiny and this thread gave me the kickstart to get it sorted.

Thank you!

Just to say thanks to this thread I completed a 2 day paediatric first aid course and passed today!

I'd been meaning to do it since LO was tiny and this thread gave me the kickstart to get it sorted.

Thank you!

Congrats!

I did a 2 hour course on Monday at my local Surestart centre and it has built up my confidence as well

oohh this is fab thank you - I have learned this before from online sources but my two worries were - what speed to compress and how much air - fantastic tips as easy to remember too. xx

This thread should stay here for good, yesterday my baby girl for no apparant reason appeared to have stopped breathing her face was grey and she wasn't responding to voice, thankfully hubby and I stayed calm and we were already in the car so we rushed her to nearest hospital where on arrival she opened her eyes and smiled!!

It turns out that she may have some reflux blocking her airway from the posistion she got into whilst in her car seat. I'm so glad we noticed it when we did as any longer and I may have been writing a sadder message.

We got home today from hospital and the first thing hubby and I have done is read this thread!! xx

thank you for this.

i'm a worrier so i have a breathing/movement monitor on macy but i've just realised i would have had absolutely no idea what to do if it went off and she wasn't breathing xxx

Great thread!

Could we please add what to do in case of baby choking onto it? I have personally had friends who have had to do this to save their babies lives!

1. Quickly Assess the Infant

If the baby can't cough or cry, then he or she is probably choking. Have someone else call 911, and go to step 2. If no one is available to call 911, go to step 2 and try to help the baby for 2 minutes before stopping to call 911 yourself. If you think the baby is having an allergic reaction rather than choking on something, call 911 immediately.

If the baby is able to cough or cry, then he or she is able to breathe. Call 911 and watch the baby closely. If the baby suddenly stops coughing or crying and can't seem to breathe, go to step 2.

2. Give 5 Blows to the Back
Lay the baby face-down on your arm. Hold the baby's head with your hand to keep his or her neck straight. The baby's legs should be straddling your arm near the elbow.

Lean the baby down at an angle. The infant's head should be lower than his or her waist.

With the heal of your other hand, strike the baby between the shoulder blades 5 times.

3. Give 5 Chest Thrusts
Roll the baby from one arm to the other so that he or she is now laying face up. Keep the head cradled in your hand and the legs straddling your arm.

Hold the baby at an angle with his or her head low and give 5 chest thrusts. Use two fingers on the breast bone right between the nipples. Push down about an inch 5 times.

4. Look in the Baby's Mouth
If you see something in the baby's mouth, pull it out. Otherwise, keep your fingers out of the baby's mouth and repeat back blows and chest thrusts. Keep doing it until the baby coughs up the object.

If the baby becomes unconscious, begin infant CPR.

ALSO ::

When asking someone else to call 911, make sure you tell them why they are calling. If not, they may not tell the 911 dispatcher exactly what's going on. If the dispatcher knows the baby isn't breathing or responding, the dispatcher may be able to give you instructions to help.

**911 is 999 or 112 in the UK***

I just realized...is 911 a different number in the UK? If so maybe I'll edit above accordingly since most of you ladies are from the UK lol

I just realized...is 911 a different number in the UK? If so maybe I'll edit above accordingly since most of you ladies are from the UK lol

Thanks, Sandrass. In the UK it's 999 or 112

I have been too scared to read this thread since having my LO as I didnt want to "jinx" myself, for some reason I thought if I knew what to do it would happen to me. Then I realised if I dont know what to do and it happens I dont want to have to rush on B&B to find out, so now I have read it, thank you very much for posting it, Im glad I have some idea of what to do now :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->