Choosing which formula to feed

stw93

Reaction score
Hey Ladies,

I am currently expecting our 3rd baby and this will be the first one that I go into knowing I will be only formula feeding as this is going to work the best for myself and our family. Did you ladies pick out the formula before the baby was born? How did you decide just researched and went with what seemed best and changed as needed once baby was born? Did you stock up before baby was born? I just want to make sure we are ready and not unprepared.

Thank you!

Here, the hospital starts them on one and you can be sent home with samples. Then go buy it at the store or with WIC.

I wouldn't stock up bc you don't know what will be tolerated yet. I started dd on the one the hospital recommended but that didn't sit well in her tummy. I then tried 2 more b4 I found one that worked for her. My luck, it was one of the most expensive ones at around $300 month! But yes, just a buy a bit to get you started of whatever you choose. Ask friends what they used or your midwife, or you can just research online yourself.

i used what the hospital had. During my stay, my husband bought some formula so it would be there for when our son and I came home. It was the cheapest one they had, and my son didn't have any problems with it. Oddly, at one point, the visiting midwife suggested we try this organic, more expensive one, and he got sick on it. We returned to the good old cheap one, and my son was all fine again, and continued with it until he went off formula.

So don't think that you have to go very expensive because it's not always necessary, or even the best for every baby. So I would start by having just have one or two different ones in the house that fit your economic budget and see how it goes.

All promotional material for formula has been banned in hospitals/midwifery because they are all essentially the same ingredients and safety standards. Many of the leading ones are manufactured in the same factory even, just packaged differently. There have been some great documentaries about the cost savings between most and least expensive! So go with whatever suits your pocket and baby.

With my 1st she would only take cow and gate and my son would only take aptamil! As hopefuldoc pointed out they are usually manufactured in the same place, just different branding meaning different price tags. I don't know why both of my two preferred different milks as the ingredients are roughly the same... I say my son had a more expensive taste lol

My daughter has no problem tolerating any I’ve given her, fortunately.

She gets mostly Costco brand, plus samples and smaller containers of name brands that I get sent or purchase with those formula rebate checks you get in the mail. Even with coupons, the Costco stuff is so much cheaper it will pay for your membership.

I used cow and gate with all of mine so far once I stopped breast feeding x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->