Alcohol in pastry?

christinelle

Reaction score
I ate a packaged pastry today and then I noticed it had alcohol in it. All yeast products are supposed to have alcohol in them and it made me wonder how safe it is to consume them during pregnancy. I guess my doctor would have told me if it was a problem but what happened to the "no amount of alcohol has been proven to be safe during pregnancy"?

What does it say, sugar alcohol or brandy or what...? These are different things.

If the alcohol was added in the process of making the pastry then it will have been cooked out during the baking process so isn't a problem. Yes the recommendations are no alcohol during pregnancy is best but even if it was added laster on then I would think it would have been a small quantity - I say that as you only knew it was there when you checked afterwards, therefore assuming you didn't taste it? Xxx

I could kinda taste/smell it and that's why I checked, it said "ethyl alcohol" on the package. It couldn't have been a lot though because I know this particular pastry is consumed by children, maybe it has the amount of a rum chocolate or something. I was just worried because it made me realize that a lot of "innocent" foods contain alcohol and it could add up.

Yeah, if it is sold for children to consume without warnings on it then I'm sure it is fine. Chocolate liqueurs and such have warnings on them and can't be sold to under 18's so if it was high in alcohol then that would be the same surely ? I wouldn't worry too much, maybe mention it to mw when you see her next? Xxx

I wouldn't have thought this was much of an issue. I know some guidelines say no alcohol but I know of other studies which say in small amounts it isn't an issue. I've never bothered having a drink myself but I do sometimes use red or white wine in cooking - as soon as you cook alcohol you burn off the alcohol component and you're left with only the taste or other properties. Probably the same for pasties etc.

Well, then do not use packaged pastry because it may contain a certain amount of alcohol, which may affect your pregnancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->