Picky eater at 6

AC1987

Mom of 2 DD's
Reaction score
I can't believe I'm posting in this section! I haven't been here a while, not since my girls were babies. Anywho!

My 6 year old is such a picky eater, she still only eats the food she ate as a toddler. Help?? The last two years I've mentioned it to the doctor but they don't seem bothered at all. But I'm just tired of having to cook two meals. She eats no meat except for bacon, hotdog and ham. If she ate more variety of vegetables I wouldn't be as concerned.

I feel for you, one of my twins is a picky eater too and I can count the foods he will eat on less than 2 hands (not counting sweets and cakes etc) and there are actually less foods now than when he was a toddler. Sadly there is nothing you can do about it. If you try, it will become a power struggle and that will make it worse and will forever leave a huge "thing" with her about meal times. I am still hoping my boy will grow out of it but I am trying hard to let go. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

my 6 year old son is the same!! Even my 8 year old daughter and 6 month old son eats anything! Ive found a few little tricks with him, he likes bacon, but doesn't like *meat* so when I give him meat, i call it bacon, and he actually eats it, he doesnt like rice, so when I call it small cut up noodles he eats it and i do that for a lot of other foods, but some kids might be a bit more switched on than he is, as for veg, he doesn't like, but will eat carrots as he thinks they will help him see in the dark and be a superhero:haha: but he does eat a tonne of fruit and loves anything fruit wise I give him, so he is relatively healthy. He wouldnt drink milk up until recently, when me and my 8 yewr old decided to race to see who could drink a glass of milk first (one way of getting adequate calcium into them haha), and of course he wanted to join in, i dont even know if he actually likes milk, he drinks it too fast to probably taste it :haha:

I’m with yas !

DD1 (7 (1/2) is very fussy ! She’s very reluctant to try new foods. Soon as she sees something new she just starts crying. I’m worried she’s just getting worse with trying new foods !

She’s basically ate more or less the same foods since she was a toddler too I’m at a loss as to how to get her to try new foods .

She loves milk and veg so I suppose that’s not a bad thing and we don’t allow many sweets (mean I know haha ) but I can count about 8 family meals she will eat . Sometimes I’m cooking 3 different meals a night for me and DH then DDs and DS as he’s DF ! Nightmare !!

Sorry no help or advice but your defiantly not alone with having a fussy eater ! All I hope is that she does grow out of it . I was / still am a fussy eater and got better as I got older ! It’s harder when we are our kids being fussy tho !

My youngest son always chose what he would eat, he may want something, and when it is ready, he will refuse. I don't think it's something to worry about, yet they are children. Try to find out what the child wants, or describe to him a dish, usually, it helps.

I watched a programme a few weeks ago where they were looking at an eating issue called ARFID, I'd never heard of it before and was curious, I'm very lucky, ds eats anything, but I know an 8 year old who is genuinely repulsed at the thought of eating more than a handful of different foods and her mum was worried. I did a wee search and came up with this organisation in the UK https://www.arfidawarenessuk.org
I realise in many cases 'fussy' eating might not be down to this, but I thought it might be worth sharing in case it resonates with anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->