Finger foods

krissie328

Reaction score
So with my son he didn't really eat until well past 1.5 years old. We did a lot of pureed food because he would just gag and throw up. Turns out it was very large tonsils and once they were removed all issues disappeared.

However, my daughter loves purees and has a huge interest in food. I gave her a peach slice today and she obliterated it. So I need safe finger food ideas. She's currently 8 months old with two teeth.

THE only things that are not safe is whole nuts, whole round fruit/veg like grapes and cherry tomatoes (and all stoned fruit needs stones removed) and hotdog sausages should be cut up as they are quite “throat shaped” when whole and very slippery. I have also read that popcorn is dangerous and tbh I find myself gagging on bits of popcorn stuck in my mouth from hours earlier, so I tend to agree with this. Sweets are also not safe but as I don’t think of these as food I forget to put them on the list often! No salt and no raw honey either but that’s not about choking.

The number of teeth a child has won’t affect their ability to eat (although extreme fussiness and food refusal during teething is very common) - my daughter didn’t get her first tooth till 11months and her second at 14months but she was eating full meals of family foods by 10months!

So if you are making food for yourself you can give it to LO as long as you’ve left out the salt and doesn’t have hard round things in so:

Pasta with homemade sauce (cheese, bolognaise, tomato and basil etc.)
Vegetable stew
Roast chicken
Grilled fish
Cooked broccoli, carrots, parsnips, squash, potatoes
Toast - plain or with hummus or nut butters or scrambled eggs
Mashed potato
Porridge

The list goes on. Cooked veg and soft fruit is easier to start with as it’s a learning curve for them so hard fruit like apple can cause a lot more difficulty and gagging, ditto raw carrot/pepper.

Gagging happens, quite a lot at first but true choking is much less common.

If your worry from your son is preventing you from experimenting with new food for your daughter, paediatric first aid courses can ease your mind and inform you of the difference between gagging and choking and ensure you have the right skills to deal with a true emergency.

As above!

We started on things like steamed carrots and broccoli, banana, toast, pasta etc then started working in fish, meat and so on. Good luck!

Thanks ladies. That was great information that I didn't know. I'm definately going to try a more BLW approach because she loves eating and seems to have no issues when she's been given stuff to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->